Storm closes schools
County gets up to one foot of snow
Anne Arundel County schools will be closed today amid wintry storms that could dump up to a foot of snow onto central Maryland once all is said and done, according to the National Weather Service.
Meteorologists extended the region’s winter storm warning through midnight Sunday, and forecast between 6 and 12 inches of total snow accumulation.
Ice and sleet that will make travel “hazardous or impossible” is also in the forecast for today, according to the National Weather Service. Maryland State Police reported almost 200 vehicle crashes between Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon.
State, county and Annapolis officials are urging people to exercise caution and, if possible, to avoid
The region has already seen between 4 and 6 inches of snow in the first winter storm of the new year. Temperatures remained in the low-30s Sunday night and fell into the high-20s early Monday.
Before Saturday’s storm, BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport recorded 1.4 inches of snow this season, all of which fell in November. The airport is the Baltimore region’s point of record.
Last month marked the region’s first December without snow since 2011,
The cold and icy weather will continue into today, but Tuesday is expected to be warmer. The National Weather Service anticipates sunny skies and 40-degree weather.
City officials will likely announce decisions about government closings this morning, said Sgt. Amy Miguez, a police spokesperson.
City buses operated a normal Sunday schedule.
The Stanton Community Center, 92 W Washington St. in Annapolis, is open as a warming center, said Miguez. Anyone in need of shelter should call the Office of Emergency Management at 410-216-9167.
The following county locations are also open as warming centers:
• Northern District: 939 Hammonds Lane, Baltimore
• Eastern District: 204 Pasadena Road, Pasadena
• Western District: 8273 Telegraph Road, Odenton
• Southern District: 35 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
Here is a list of closings and weather warnings:
• Anne Arundel County schools will be closed Monday
• The Annapolis Library will be closed Monday. All other Anne Arundel County public libraries will open at 1 p.m. Check their website for updates.
• All Anne Arundel County Public Schools-sponsored events closed Sunday due to heavy snowfall.
• The Annapolis Recreation and Parks "Pip" Moyer Recreation Center closed Sunday.
• Flights at BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport are operating, according to its Twitter page. But delays and cancellations are expected.
The latest road conditions can be obtained by calling 511.
A pedestrian and dog navigate a snowy Main Street in Annapolis on Sunday. See more photos on Page A6.
Snow continues to fall Sunday and cover a street in Annapolis by the Naval Academy water tower.
A motorcyclist takes on the falling snow in Annapolis.
An Annapolis snow plow clears Compromise Street Sunday morning.
Midshipmen cross a snow covered street in Annapolis.