DNA test­ing leads to ar­rest in 1995 rape on Na­tions Ford Rd.

The Charlotte Observer - - Front Page - BY JOE MARUSAK

[email protected]­lot­teob­server.com

Po­lice on Wednesday ar­rested a sus­pect in a 23- year- old Char­lotte rape case.

Af­ter retest­ing the sex­ual as­sault kit in the case, po­lice said DNA ev­i­dence linked 43year- old Nathaney Davis to the 1995 rape of a 23- year- old woman. The vic­tim was walk­ing on Na­tions Ford Road when she was kid­napped and sex­u­ally as­saulted, ac­cord­ing to a Char­lot­teMeck­len­burg Po­lice Depart­ment news re­lease Wednesday.

The sex­ual as­sault kit was ini­tially tested in 1995, ac­cord­ing to the CMPD re­lease. More test­ing was com­pleted last year as part of a fed­eral grant CMPD re­ceived, and that’s when “DNA ev­i­dence con­firmed Davis as the sus­pect,” po­lice said in the re­lease.

DNA test­ing was un­avail­able as part of sex­ual as­sault kit tests in 1995, CMPD Of­fi­cer Cindy Wal­lace told the Ob­server Wednesday night.

Ac­cord­ing to Wednesday’s CMPD news re­lease, two males robbed the vic­tim of money and jew­elry be­fore one of the as­sailants, armed with a gun, sex­u­ally as­saulted her.

The as­sailants then ran away, po­lice said. The vic­tim got to a phone and called po­lice. She was treated at Caroli­nas Med­i­cal Cen­ter, and a sex­ual as­sault kit was com­pleted, ac­cord­ing to the news re­lease.

Davis was charged with first- de­gree rape, first­de­gree sex of­fense, first­de­gree kid­nap­ping and at­tempted rob­bery with a dan­ger­ous weapon, Meck­len­burg County jail records show. He was jailed on $ 200,000 bail.

Davis has been con­victed of nu­mer­ous crim­i­nal of­fenses in Meck­len­burg County over three decades, court records show.

He was found guilty of do­mes­tic-re­lated mis­de­meanor as­sault on a fe­male in 2010, felony hit and run in 2006 and 2008 and felony break­ing, en­ter­ing and lar­ceny in 2008, ac­cord­ing to records. He has mis­de­meanor charges of as­sault and com­mu­ni­cat­ing threats pend­ing from an in­ci­dent on Dec. 15, 2018.

Davis was con­victed of mis­de­meanor as­sault on a govern­ment of­fi­cer in 2006 and mis­de­meanor re­sist­ing a pub­lic of­fi­cer in 1996 and 2004, court records show.

Staff writer Anna Dou­glas con­trib­uted.

Joe Marusak: 704-358-5067, @jmarusak

Nathaney Davis

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.