Res­i­dents dis­placed in Ply­mouth fire

The Citizens' Voice - - LOCAL - BY JAMES HALPIN STAFF WRITER Con­tact the writer: jhalpin@cit­i­zensvoice.com 570-821-2058

PLY­MOUTH — At least two peo­ple were dis­placed Satur­day af­ter a fire broke out at their home, ac­cord­ing to fire­fight­ers.

The fire at 223 Cen­ter Ave. was re­ported at 4:48 p.m., with flames show­ing out of an up­stairs bed­room win­dow, said Fire Chief Brian Op­pelt of Elm Hill Hose Com­pany No. 3.

“The caller said he could see the fire grow­ing by the sec­ond,” he said.

Fire­fight­ers ar­riv­ing on scene were told a young child of about 3 or 4 was trapped in­side the home. The crew found the par­ents still in­side as well, un­sure where the child had gone, he said.

The par­ents were told to get out, and a fire­fighter wear­ing a res­pi­ra­tor lo­cated the child and brought him out­side, he said.

“He wasn’t in dan­ger,” Op­pelt said. “I think he was just more con­fused as to why mom and dad were run­ning around scream­ing.”

The fire was con­tained to a win­dow sill in a sec­ond-floor bed­room and was knocked down in about 25 sec­onds, he said.

The cause was not im­me­di­ately known, but he said it did not ap­pear sus­pi­cious.

The res­i­dents would be dis­placed for at least Satur­day night be­cause fire­fight­ers pulled the ceil­ing out of a bath­room and water came down into the kitchen, he said.

“To be on the safe side, we’re go­ing to kill the power on that side un­til an in­spec­tor can come in and make sure ev­ery­thing’s good,” Op­pelt said.

The home­owner lives on the other half of the dou­ble-block home and was not dis­placed, he said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.