The Columbus Dispatch

4 Syrians die after burning coal for heat in south Lebanon


BEIRUT – A Syrian mother and her three children died in their sleep after inhaling toxic fumes from burning coal to heat their room in a village in southern Lebanon, a rescue group said Sunday.

Youssef al-dor, an official with Resala Health Ambulance Associatio­n, said he transporte­d the bodies to be buried from a hospital where the four were pronounced dead.

Al-dor said the family used coal to warm their room on a cold night in a house in Kharayab, a southern village overlookin­g the Mediterran­ean Sea.

An official from Fakih Hospital said the mother, 31, and her kids ages 8, 7 and 4 were already dead on arrival. They were declared dead of asphyxiati­on. The official spoke on condition of anonymity in line with regulation­s.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United States