The Commercial Appeal
Briarcrest is the clear No. 1 in area rankings
The district tournaments for all Division I boys basketball teams begin this week. With the city championships over and the postseason beginning, here’s a look at the latest Memphis area rankings.
1. Briarcrest (29-2): The Saints are still the area’s No. 1 team. They finish the regular season against Christian Brothers and St. Benedict this week.
2. Fayette-ware (21-6): The Wildcats remain No. 2, winning 10 of their last 11. They’ll be the No. 1 seed in the District 15-3A Tournament.
3. Lausanne (23-2): The Lynx have won the last 13 games and play University School of Jackson in the Division II-A West region quarterfinals.
4. Bartlett (21-8): The Panthers remain at No. 4. They are the No. 1 seed for the District 15-4A Tournament.
5. Christian Brothers (19-6): Christian
Brothers move up into the top five, winning five of the last seven games.
6. Houston (16-7): The Mustangs jump to No. 6. Despite a loss to Southwind, the Mustangs have won nine of the last 10.
7. Germantown (19-8): The Red Devils drop to No. 7 after losing the city championship to Overton.
8. Memphis East (20-8): The Mustangs ended the regular season winning the last four and will be the No. 2 seed in the District 16-4A Tournament.
9. Overton (22-10): Overton moves up to No. 9 despite a loss in the regular season finale. Overton defeated Germantown for the Memphis-shelby County Schools city championship.
10. Whitehaven (14-8): The Tigers ended the regular season with a win over Overton, led by junior Julius Thedford. They look to carry that momentum into the District 16-4A Tournament.
Reach Wynston Wilcox at firstname.lastname@example.org and on Twitter @wynstonw__.