The Commercial Appeal
A new top 5, plus Collierville makes its debut
The Memphis area boys high school basketball postseason is well underway. Several area teams have locked in district championships as region tournaments begin this week. Here are this week’s rankings ahead of another week in the postseason.
1. Briarcrest (31-2): The Saints remain No. 1 after eclipsing 30 wins for the first time in school history. Briarcrest has a first-round bye and will play in the Division II-AA quarterfinals on Saturday.
2. Fayette-ware (22-6): The Wildcats haven’t lost a district game yet this season, including the district tournament. They have a chance at a district championship ahead of the region tournament this week.
3. Lausanne (26-2): The Lynx captured a region championship last week and will play in the Division I-A quarterfinals this week.
4. Memphis East (19-9): The
Mustangs return to the top 5 after winning the District 16-4A championship over Overton last week.
5. Overton (23-11): The Wolverines will be the No. 2 seed in the Region 8-4A tournament, following a lost to Memphis East.
6. Bartlett (22-9): The Panthers lost to Collierville in the District 15-4A semifinals on Saturday and fall out of the top 5.
7. Christian Brothers (19-9): The Purple Wave have lost the last two games, dropping to No. 7 ahead of the Division II-AA first round state tournament at Christ Presbyterian Academy on Wednesday.
8. Whitehaven (16-9): The Tigers defeated Central in the District 16-4A consolation game and will be the No. 3 seed in the Region 8-4A tournament.
9. Collierville (16-12): The Dragons defeated Bartlett in the district tournament on Saturday and has a chance to win a district championship this week.
10. Houston (17-8): The Mustangs lost to Southwind 47-44 in the District 15-4A semifinals on Saturday and will play Bartlett in the consolation game ahead of the Region tournament.
Reach Wynston Wilcox at wwilcox @gannett.com and on Twitter @wynstonw__.