The Day

Hoarder dies in fire in home filled with trash


Norwalk (AP) — Authoritie­s say a Connecticu­t man has died after a house fire that was difficult to put out because of hoarding conditions that included trash piles and narrow walkways.

Firefighte­rs responded to the blaze at the three-story house in Norwalk on Saturday afternoon. Firefighte­rs from several area towns were called in to help.

Emergency responders found the man on the first floor and performed CPR, but he was pronounced dead. His name hasn’t been released.

The cause of the fire is under investigat­ion.

Deputy Fire Chief Stephen Shay told The Hour newspaper that the hoarding conditions were “extreme” and included trash piles about 3 feet high throughout the house.

Officials said it was the second fatal fire at a home with hoarding conditions in Norwalk this year.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United States