ONE SENT TO HOSPITAL IN NEW LONDON FIRE
New London — Crews took one person to the hospital for smoke inhalation after a blaze broke out in the second floor of a Cutler Street residence Monday, fire Chief Henry Kydd said.
Kydd said the call came in through a Life Alert system about 12:20 p.m. Because there's a Cutler Street in both Groton and New London, crews from each town responded to their respective Cutler streets.
New London firefighters quickly located flames on the second floor of 5 Cutler St., which is the left half of a duplex. Kydd said the flames were in a front bedroom and didn't spread beyond there.
He described the victim as an elderly woman.
Records show the property belongs to Lester and Mary Gee.
The cause of the fire isn't yet known, but Kydd said he didn't expect it would take long to figure out. It isn't considered suspicious, he said.