Coast Guard’s Mooney repeats as New England champion
Brunswick, Maine — Coast Guard Academy sophomore Kaitlyn Mooney won the NCAA Division III New England Championship for the second straight season, leading the Bears to an eighth-place finish on Saturday at Bowdoin College.
Mooney, battling cold and wet conditions, finished the 6K course in 20 minutes, 43 seconds to earn a berth in next Saturday's NCAA Division III Championship meet at Wisconsin-Oshkosh. Mooney was fourth a year ago to earn All-America honors.
Also for the Bears, senior Anita Green was 43rd (23:00), junior Olivia Suski was 55th (23:13), sophomore Mia Huncharek was 62nd (23:18) and freshman Laurel Felt was 74th (23:30).
Connecticut College placed 14th led by Meredith Cronin in 35th place (22.48). Tarvis Hintlian (63rd, 23:19) and Eva Brydson (76th, 23:32) also placed in the top 100.
In the men's race, Conn College placed three runners in the top 20 to place eighth.
Scott Mason was eighth overall in 25:13 over the 8K course while Danny Aschale was 11th (25:20) and Price Day was 17th (25:38). Russell Adam also placed 74th (26:37) for the Camels. Coast Guard finished 15th led by Colton Atkinson in 66th place (26:32). Andre Gallant also cracked the top 100, placing 93rd (26:54).
H.S. cross country
• East Lyme senior Sam Whittaker placed 58th overall in the New England Championship meet at Derryfield Park in Manchester, N.H.
Whittaker finished the slick and muddy 5K course in 16:59 while junior teammate Chris Abbey finished 123rd overall in 17:34.
• Thames River overcame a 22-20 deficit by scoring the final 20 points to rally past Abbott Tech/Immaculate 4022. Josh Brown rushed for 175 yards on 25 carries and scored a touchdown for the Crusaders (5-3) while Albert Velazquez added 65 yards on six carries with a touchdown and adding 50 receiving yards with a touchdown.
Quarterback Logan Starr rushed for one TD while throwing an 84-yard touchdown pass and Steve Torres added a 7-yard touchdown run.
• Bacon Academy defeated Ledyard 20-17 in overtime in an ECC Division II game. Robbie Petriel had four receptions for 49 yards and caught a touchdown pass from Jacob Sylvia for the Colonels (2-7, 1-3) while Brayden Grim scored on a 1-yard run and Jaiden Bickham kicked a 25-yard field goal.
• Avery Point picked up its first win, beating Mass Bay CC 74-58. Montville's John Domijan had 18 points and 10 rebounds, Elijah Malboeuf-Boyd had 13 points and 10 rebounds, Alec Gomes of Norwich scored 15 and Trevor Yeomans of Waterford had 10 points, four assists, four rebounds and four steals for the Pointers (1-3).
• Coast Guard opened its season with a 70-59 loss to UMass Boston. Micaela Martinelli led Coast Guard with 13 points, nine rebounds and six assists while freshman Emma Puddington had 12 points and seven rebounds off the bench and senior Johanna Moolenaar scored 10.
• Top-seeded and unbeaten Woodstock Academy ended East Lyme's victory with a 2517, 25-18 and 25-13 win over the No. 8 Vikings in the Class L quarterfinals. Sydney Iannantuono had 15 kills and 10 digs while Sophie Dubreuil added 24 digs for East Lyme, which finishes 19-5.
• Montville's season ended with a 3-0 loss to No. 12 Woodland on Friday night. Woodland won 25-15, 28-26, 26-24. Abby Diamantini had 29 digs, Mackenzie Ullrich had 10 assists and 10 digs, Gabby Beal had 17 digs and Ashley Rogers had 10 digs for No. 13 Montville (17-8).