No. 24 Coast Guard wrestling team wins twice
New London — The Coast Guard Academy wrestling team picked up a pair of wins on Sunday, beating Norwich University 46-0 and Southern Maine 29-12.
Allan Beato (133 pounds) and Christian Gosch had pins in the win over Norwich and Nick Remke (165) and Jonathan Wagner (197) pinned in the Southern Maine match. No. 24 Coast Guard (4-1) got two pins each from George McBurney (285), Gosch and Wagner.
Black Wolves win
• Stephan Leblanc had nine points on three goals and six assists and Reilly O'Connor tied his career-high with four goals as the New England Black Wolves defeated the Calgary Roughnecks 16-10 on Saturday night at the Scotiabank Saddledome in a National Lacrosse League game at Calgary.
O'Connor also had two assists in the win for New England (2-1) and Callum Crawford picked up eight points on two goals and six assists. In net, Doug Jamieson recorded his first career victory while also picking up a career-best 45 saves.
The Black Wolves return home to Mohegan Sun Arena on Saturday, playing the Georgia Swarm at 7 p.m.
Women's indoor track
• Connecticut College finished fifth at the nine-team Bowdoin Invitational on Saturday. Shannon Kennedy was second in the pentathlon with 2,827 points and also qualified for the New England Div. III meet in the 60-meter hurdles (9.78). Thirdplace finishes went to Leila Alfaro (60 hurdles) and Tarvis Hintlian (1,000). Conn's 4x200 relay team of Kaitlin Thomas, Ellie Ebby, Riley Peragine and Sarah Clark had the third-best time in program history at 1:49.95.
Men's indoor track
• Conn College was seventh in the nine-team Bowdoin Invitational on Saturday. Matt Sambor and Josh Simensky had third-place finishes, Sambor in the triple jump (40-10.25) and Simensky in the mile (4:34.90). Conn's 4x800 relay team of Russell Adam, Ethan Milsark, Stuart Pollock and Simensky was also third (8:42.21).
H.S. indoor track
• Waterford's boys placed fourth at the Shoreline Conference Coaches' Invitational on Saturday in New Haven.
The Lancers finished with 37 points, trailing Old Saybrook (67), Bloomfield (46) and Ellington (43). Waterford's Jared Lovell was third in the 55-meter hurdles (8.38 seconds) and teammate Jalen Chappelle was fifth (8.56), Christopher Smith was fourth in the 55 dash (6.77) and fourth in the long jump (20 feet, 8 inches), Aidan Pepin was fifth in the 1,600 (4:50.59) and fifth in the 3,200 (10:19), and the 4x200 relay team of Marcus Elliott, Smith, Marcus Lovell and Kayvon Negahban finished fourth (1:37.91).
Montville had a pair of second-place finishes from Derek Strickland in the 55 hurdles (8.27) and Tyrone Mack in the shot put (48-8.75), while Julian Valdes was fourth in the high jump (5-8) and fifth in the long jump (19-9.75).
In the girls' meet, Montville's Lauren Ross finished third in the 55 hurdles (9.49) and fifth in the high jump (4-10).
H.S. boys' fencing
• Fitch beat both Waterford and East Lyme 9-0 in foil on Saturday. Ryan Sison, Ben Traverso and Seth Mason were undefeated by Fitch. East Lyme beat Waterford 7-2. In epee, Fitch's Gabe Reigelsperser and Ron Pfisterer were both undefeated as the Falcons beat East Lyme 8-1 and Waterford 7-2. East Lyme beat Waterford 5-4.
H.S. girls' fencing
• Waterford's Alex Cole was undefeated as the Lancers beat East Lyme 6-3 and Fitch 5-4 in foil on Saturday. East Lyme beat Fitch 5-4. In epee, Waterford beat East Lyme 8-1 and Fitch 5-4 while Fitch beat East Lyme 9-0.
• UConn lost to Merrimack 5-2 in a Hockey East game on Saturday. Karl El-Mir and Jachym Kondelik had third-period goals for UConn (7-14-1, 2-10-1).
• Brian Whitney of Niantic won the Kelley's Pace Frostbite 5K in Mystic on Saturday. Whitney's time was 29:47 and Devyn Pryor of Madison was second and the top women's finisher at 30:14. Rounding out the top 10 were Tom Fagin of Ledyard (30:26), Brandy LeClair of Groton (31:32), Zackery Stevens of Taftville (31:36), Ryan Gauthier of Stonington (31:37), Steven deCastro of Pawcatuck (31:48), Michael Fleming of New London (31:52), Stephanie Novotny of Niantic (31:58) and Elizabeth Lagoy of West Hartford (32:30).