Toddler dies, several injured in Detroit fire
A 2-year-old boy was killed early Friday in a house fire on Mackay Street near Lawley in Detroit, on the Hamtramck border.
Four other children, including a 6-month-old and 5-year-old, were rescued after suffering injuries in the blaze along with two adults in the home. Two Hamtramck firefighters were injured getting the children out of the burning bungalow near East Davison.
Fire officials believe the preliminary cause of the fire is accidental and electrical in nature. The 2-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene. A 20-year-old woman and 35-year-old man were taken to Detroit Receiving Hospital and treated for burns and smoke inhalation.
Two Hamtramck firefighters were treated for second-degree burns to the face and ears in a hospital and released.
Detroit Deputy Fire Commission David Fornell said the call about the fire came into dispatch around 1 a.m. about the home at 13179 Mackay.
“Firefighters knew there were people trapped and immediately went into search mode when they got there,” said Fornell.
Five children were transported to a nearby hospital. One of the children was pronounced dead at the children’s hospital. The children were treated for burns and smoke inhalation.
A relative of the family, came by the fire scene around 6:30 a.m. Friday and shook his head while surveying the devastation saying the incident was “crushing.”
“I don’t know what happened,” said Itavious Washington. “We were just playing a game at 12, 11 o’clock. I turned the game off and this happened.”
Washington said his cousins and aunt lived at the home. He said the baby was the son of his cousin’s girlfriend.
“It’s hard to believe,” said Washington. “Look how it looks. Looks how it looks. Burned up like this. Prayers go out to the family.”
Washington said “everyone is in shock mode” over the fire.
Washington thanked the injured firefighters for helping to save the children.
“Shout out to them. They saved my family,” said Washington. “They did the best they can to get everyone out safe and sound. “
Four other kids were injured along with two adults and two Hamtramck firefighters in Friday’s early-morning house fire near East Davison.
A Mickey Mouse toy is among children’s items in the yard of the home where the 2-year-old boy died in the Mackay Street fire.