1. Return of Miguel Cabrera: With five years and $154 million left on his contract, can the face of the franchise stay healthy and re-establish himself as one of the game’s premier hitters?
2. Will Nick stick? Nick Castellanos will be a free agent after this season. The Tigers have been open to trade offers this offseason, but didn’t get so much as a nibble. Will he be more enticing to teams by the trade deadline?
3. New guys: The Tigers have brought in some veteran players, most of them looking for bounce-back seasons, like pitchers Tyson Ross and Matt Moore. Longtime Pirates shortstop Jordy Mercer replaces Jose Iglesias. Former White Sox infielder Gordon Beckham also will get a chance to win a spot.
4. Time to shine: For catcher Grayson Greiner, left fielder Christin Stewart, center fielder JaCoby Jones and third baseman Jeimer Candelario, 2019 could be either a breakout or break up year.
5. Busting out: It’s been a frustrating last couple of seasons for former rookie of the year Michael Fulmer. He has been beset by niggling injuries and hasn’t fully recaptured the dominance he showed in 2016. He’s as healthy and determined as he’s ever been. If he is back on form, will that hasten his departure from Detroit in July?