Hal­loween should not go by with­out telling the story of Gilbert

The Enterprise - - Sports - Jamie Drake jamiedrake­out­doors@out­look.com

It’s the spook­i­est time of the year, and Hal­loween isn’t com­plete with­out a few ghost sto­ries to scare the kids.

I thought I’d share a story about Gilbert Run Park in Dentsville that I heard for the first time when I was about 8 years old. I don’t know who to credit for com­ing up with this story in the first place, but I’d like to thank them for pro­vid­ing years of en­ter­tain­ment.

It’s a story that’s stuck with me through­out my life.

When I was a child, if some­one left the pa­tio door open, we’d blame it on Gilbert. When my dad asked, “Who left the milk out on the counter?” my sis­ter and I would glee­fully re­ply, “Gilbert!” He was our fam­ily’s per­sonal ghost and kindly took the blame for any mishaps that hap­pened at our house.

Just one warn­ing be­fore you read this story to your kids. You will be asked from here on out, at ev­ery sin­gle camp­fire and on any road trip that lasts longer than 20 min­utes, to retell the story again and again. So, com­mit it to me­mory and feel free to em­bel­lish it and make it your own, as I have done over the years.

Share it with your kids tonight, and then one day soon, take them to the park to fish for some of the 550 brown and rain­bow trout that were re­leased there last Thurs­day. But keep an eye out for Gilbert. I hear he haunts the place.

Many years ago, a hum­ble cabin was built on the shores of a creek that flowed into a small lake.

A fam­ily lived in this cabin. They lived off the land, grow­ing their food and hunt­ing and trap­ping an­i­mals in the sur­round­ing for­est. They didn’t have much, but they had each other.

In this fam­ily were two chil­dren, Han­nah and Gilbert.

One spring, the en­tire fam­ily was stricken with yel­low fever. They all be­came sick and the par­ents died.

Han­nah and Gilbert re­cov­ered, but they were now or­phans and on their own. They stayed with an­other fam­ily while their grand­mother was sum­moned to come and care for them. It took sev­eral weeks for the let­ter to reach her, and by the time she fi­nally ar­rived, it was al­ready fall.

Han­nah and Gilbert were glad to be back home in their cabin, but they were still sad and missed their par­ents very much.

Since they had no money, kind neigh­bors do­nated enough food to sus­tain them through the win­ter. Han­nah helped her grand­mother with the cook­ing and clean­ing, while Gilbert tried his hand

and the com­ment next to it said they beat Paul VI 35-0 last year. No where did it say, tied for first place. We used that this week. The only peo­ple that be­lieved were our kids. I’m proud of them. Out­side of that I’m speech­less. It was a group ef­fort, that’s what makes this group spe­cial. There is no one per­son that makes this hap­pen. Not one group is the glue. This is an ab­so­lute fam­ily and group ef­fort.”

Paul VI came out ag­gres­sive and with a plan against St. Mary’s Ryken off the start, which in­cluded an on­sides kick that it re­cov­ered at the start of the game. Zack­avy ended the drive with a 12-yard touch­down run to put the vis­i­tors up 7-0 with 7 min­utes 55 sec­onds re­main­ing in the open­ing quar­ter. That lead stood up as the half­time score.

Paul VI dou­bled its lead when sopho­more Avery Ford re­turned the kick­off all the way for a touch­down, putting it up 14-0.

St. Mary’s Ryken (7-2, 3-1 WCAC) took over on the en­su­ing kick­off and se­nior run­ning back Jonathan Wynn ran the ball 75 yards for a touch­down, slip­ping through the Pan­thers’ de­fen­sive line in the rain. Ju­nior kicker Gar­rett Watkins made the ex­tra point and the Knights trailed by one touch­down 14-7.

St. Mary’s Ryken crept even closer when sopho­more run­ning back Ja­ma­ree Bow­man pow­ered the ball over the goal line from a yard out with just over 5 min­utes left. With a failed ex­tra point, the Knights trailed just 14-13.

“It was all right,” said Wynn, who had 21 car­ries for 286 yards and two touch­downs. “We did OK. Not re­ally, we ex­pected to win ob­vi­ously, but that hap­pens I guess. The line blocked well, and I got through the hole and ran. We got play­offs left, so two more games left. I want to win the cham­pi­onship for my se­nior year.”

The rain in­ten­si­fied and so did the stakes as the game reached the fourth quar­ter.

Watkins put St. Mary’s Ryken ahead with a 28-yard field goal from Watkins to take the lead for the first time in the game just six sec­onds into the fi­nal quar­ter, 16-14.

The lead didn’t last long as Zack­avy had a 10-run touch­down run with 9 min­utes to go in reg­u­la­tion. With a failed 2-point con­ver­sion, Paul VI’s ad­van­tage was just 20-16.

Paul VI added one last touch­down when Zack­avy ran the ball 60 yards for a touch­down with 6:45 left to play, mak­ing it 27-16.

St. Mary’s Ryken wasn’t fin­ished yet and Wynn had his sec­ond touch­down of the game off of a 70-yard run just 21 sec­onds af­ter Zakavy’s long run. Knights quar­ter­back Trevor Nored hit se­nior wide re­ceiver Cam­den Boyle for the 2-point con­ver­sion and the hosts were within 27-24. Boyle had three re­cep­tions for 40 yards Fri­day night.

With 30 sec­onds left on the clock at the 15, Nored fum­bled and rushed into a mass of Paul VI de­fend­ers. He came up a few yards short of the end zone be­fore the ref­er­ees blew the whis­tle, end­ing the game 27-24 in fa­vor of Paul VI.

“Paul VI did ev­ery­thing right,” St. Mary’s Ryken head coach Aaron Brady said. “They out­played us. They made plays on balls in the air and took ad­van­tage of our poor penalty de­ci­sions. They won spe­cial teams and they out-coached us. We had four drives in­side the 10 where we didn’t score. The pos­i­tive is that our goals are still achiev­able.”

The Knights wrap up the reg­u­lar sea­son at 7 p.m. Fri­day with a home con­test ver­sus Arch­bishop Car­roll of Wash­ing­ton, D.C.

Hor­nets shut out Raiders

The Hor­nets took down their sec­ond county ri­val of the sea­son on Fri­day night by blank­ing the vis­it­ing Raiders in a South­ern Mary­land Ath­letic Con­fer­ence Po­tomac Di­vi­sion con­test on a rainy Fri­day night.

Martrel Ma­son had two touch­downs and rushed for over 200 yards in the win. The last touch­down was by quar­ter­back Ter­rel Lon­don, who ran in a 14-yard touch­down.

Great Mills (3-6, 3-2 SMAC Po­tomac) scored all 22 of its points in the open­ing half against Leonard­town (0-9, 0-6).

The Hor­nets outscored their ri­vals Chop­ti­con and Leonard­town by a com­bined score of 62-16.

“It was one of the best games I’ve been a part of,” Great Mills head coach Ty­rone Bell said. “The weather was a huge fac­tor in the game and re­ally re­stricted both sides from do­ing any­thing that they wanted to do. You could hardly hold onto the ball. If you tried to throw, it wouldn’t go as far, hop­ing to hand the ball of and take it from there. They were do­ing more di­rect snaps to their ath­letes. We were try­ing to get Martrel Ma­son some yards and keep him get­ting down the field. The guy who Ma­son is com­pet­ing against for most rush­ing yards this sea­son is the run­ning back from North Point.”

Great Mills will be at North Point at 7 p.m. Fri­day. The Ea­gles (9-0, 5-0) shut out Calvert in Week 9, 43-0.

Leonard­town hosts La Plata at 6 p.m. Fri­day. The War­riors (18, 0-6 SMAC Ch­e­sa­peake) lost to McDonough in Week 9, 22-6.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.