US wants 2 years to re­unite mi­grant fam­i­lies

The Fresno Bee (Sunday) - - News -

The Trump ad­min­is­tra­tion wants up to two years to find po­ten­tially thou­sands of chil­dren who were sep­a­rated from their fam­i­lies at the bor­der be­fore a judge halted the prac­tice last year, a task it says is more la­bo­ri­ous than pre­vi­ous ef­forts be­cause the chil­dren are no longer in gov­ern­ment cus­tody.

The Jus­tice Depart­ment said in a court fil­ing late Fri­day that it will take at least a year to re­view about 47,000 cases of unac­com­pa­nied chil­dren taken into gov­ern­ment cus­tody be­tween July 1, 2017 and June 25, 2018 – the day be­fore U.S. District Judge Dana Sabraw halted the gen­eral prac­tice of split­ting fam­i­lies. The ad­min­is­tra­tion would be­gin by sift­ing through names for traits most likely to sig­nal sep­a­ra­tion – for ex­am­ple, chil­dren un­der 5.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.