Reform needed at Electoral College
The Electoral College needs to be reformed. As it now stands, it is undem- ocratic.
The whole idea of a democracy is true representation. In the case of the Electoral College, in 48 of the 50 states it is winner-take-all, regardless of the proportion of the people who vote for one candidate for president in that state. If 51 percent of the people in a given state vote for one candidate for president, all the Electoral College votes go to that candidate for president. Why is it that the other 49 percent of the state’s voters are not represented? This is undemocratic.
The Electoral College vote should be prorated on the basis of the voters who voted in that state. This will be truly democratic. If 49 percent of the people voted for a different candidate, then their votes should go to that candidate. The Electoral College voting system should also not be optional but mandatory. It should be straightforward and not controversial, by allowing people to have discretion in their voting in the Electoral College. As it now stands, the Electoral college is undemocratic.
– Gary Dashjian, Clovis