Bucs handed sec­ond de­feat in a row

Kent Is­land strug­gles on of­fense, as In­di­ans never trail in first head-to-head vic­tory since 2007

The Kent Island Bay Times - - Sports -

Things didn’t look quite so great for the In­di­ans’ of­fense mid­way through the first quar­ter, though. While the de­fense forced three-and-outs on Kent Is­land’s first two pos­ses­sions, the of­fense moved be­tween the 20s then hurt it­self three times in 90 sec­onds.

On sec­ond-and-long from Kent Is­land’s 39, Khalil Evans con­nected with Joshua Shock­ley on a pass play to the Bucs’ 1-yard line. But a false-start penalty and two hold­ing flags cost the In­di­ans al­most all that yardage, push­ing the ball back to the Kent Is­land 32. Wi­comico (4-2) even­tu­ally turned the ball over on downs.

On their next pos­ses­sions, the In­di­ans scored, though, a 30-yard scor­ing romp by Jor­dan Briggs, and a Moses An­sari point-af­ter made it 7-0, with 1:01 to go in the first quar­ter.

Kent Is­land mov­ing into the In­di­ans’ red zone for the first time on its next pos­ses­sion be­fore be­ing stopped in­side the 10. Joe Gar­vey’s 26-yard field goal cut the In­di­ans’ lead to 7-3 halfway through the sec­ond quar­ter. But that was as close as things got. Wi-Hi re­sponded two pos­ses­sions later, Evans find­ing Shock­ley for a 35-yard touch­down pass, to make it 14-3 with 2:28 to go be­fore the half.

Kent Is­land, which won the open­ing coin toss and de­ferred, was set to re­ceive the sec­ond-half kick­off. In an at­tempt to make it a one-score game, with the ball com­ing their way af­ter the break, they tried a field goal on the last play of the half, from 22 yards out. But the snap was bad, and the im­pro­vised run was stopped.

“I felt pretty con­fi­dent in how we matched up to them, es­pe­cially our de­fense against their of­fense,” said Wi­comico head coach Brian Han­son whose team held Kent Is­land to just eight first downs on the night. “And in the sec­ond half, when we were up two scores, I kind of thought that, you know, if the de­fense doesn’t ab­so­lutely play aw­fully, that we were in a good po­si­tion at that point.

“Th­ese kids are giv­ing it their best,” Han­son added. “We’ve played in some re­ally tough 7-on-7 tour­na­ments over the sum­mer, against some re­ally strong teams, and we’ve got some ath­letes.”

Said Fer­rag­amo: “We’re just not get­ting the job done on of­fense right now. Wi-Hi just beat us. And next week, we’ve

a fine save on a curv­ing di­rect kick by Mo­gel. But four min­utes later, with 28:59 left in the half, Jor­dan Grard tal­lied off a de­flected shot with a left-footer from 10 yards out for a 3-0 lead.

Mo­gel kicked in her first goal just over a minute later to end the first-half scor­ing. Lily Dixon hus­tled to col­lect the ball be­fore it went past the end line and cen­tered it to Mo­gel, who was left un­de­fended in­side the goal area.

Cam­bridge-SD’s first and only shot of the first half came from Brooke Wind­sor, who sent the ball over the right post with 3:20 re­main­ing.

Brooks and the Vik­ings’ de­fense kept Kent Is­land from scor­ing in the fi­nal 27:54 of the half, but the Bucs scored on their first two shots of the sec­ond half to put the out­come out of doubt.

Af­ter a pass from Heath, Dixon set­tled a ball in­side the goal area and scored in­side the near post past Vik­ings goalie Jer­sey Knarr (13 saves).

Mo­gel scored off an­other as­sist from Heath sent from the right wing, kick­ing the ball ahead of Knarr, who had at­tempted to in­ter­vene. The Bucs led 6-0 with 35:11 re­main­ing.

Rotert later net­ted a roller off a lead pass from Heath to make it 7-0 with 25:59 re­main­ing. With an as­sist from Lau­ren Hart­nett, Mo­gel tipped the ball past Knarr on a break and tal­lied with a right-footed roller to end the scor­ing at 14:40.

The Vik­ings only shot on goal came on a di­rect kick in the sec­ond half that was grabbed by Bucs goalie Cara Cu­nane. Lead­ing the Bucs de­fense were Cas­sidy Creighton, Caro­line Hurlebaus, Casey Smith, Char­lotte Kra­tovil, Alex To­rian, Blair Goodrich, and Alyssa Or­lin­ski.

Next Tues­day, Kent Is­land is sched­uled to play North Caro­line, which has one loss to a North Bay­side op­po­nent, Queen Anne’s.

“The key is keep­ing ev­ery­body healthy, not hav­ing any in­juries and be­ing full strength,” Leach said. “Hope­fully, we’ll have good news to­mor­row and be at full strength ver­sus North Caro­line in a big game.” Fol­low me on Twit­ter @csknauss / email me at ck­nauss@star­dem.com


Kent Is­land High’s Caro­line Plank (9) con­trols the ball near mid­field as Cam­bridge-South Dorch­ester’s Mor­gan Tracy (12) closes in dur­ing the first half Thurs­day evening at Schipul Sta­dium in Stevensville.


Kent Is­land High’s McKen­zie Mo­gel con­trols the ball while look­ing to pass as Cam­bridge-South Dorch­ester’s Mor­gan Tracy looks on Thurs­day evening at Schipul Sta­dium in Stevensville.


Kent Is­land High’s Alyssa Or­lin­ski (5) con­trols the ball un­der pres­sure from Cam­bridge-South Dorch­ester’s Natalie Kerr dur­ing the first half Thurs­day evening at Schipul Sta­dium in Stevensville.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.