Cur­ley up­ends the Sabres be­hind Stitz

The Kent Island Bay Times - - Sports - By CHRIS KNAUSS ck­[email protected]­

Cur­ley 6 — SSPP 3

EAS­TON — Two play­ers serv­ing game sus­pen­sions didn’t help the Sabres’ cause Fri­day af­ter­noon at the Tal­bot County Com­mu­nity Cen­ter. Two play­ers for Arch­bishop Cur­ley didn’t pro­vide any help ei­ther.

Sam Stitz scored five goals and Scott Swain con­trib­uted a goal and three as­sists as the Fri­ars’ ice hockey team ral­lied from an early deficit for a 6-3 vic­tory over Saints Peter and Paul High.

The Sabres got the puck past Cur­ley goalie Shane Stone just 1 minute, 38 se­conds into the game, but the Fri­ars coun­tered with the next four goals to take con­trol.

Cur­ley im­proved to 3-2-1 over­all and in Mary­land In­ter­scholas­tic Ath­letic As­so­ci­a­tion B Con­fer­ence play, while SSPP fell to 0-3-4, 0-23.

The two teams tied 4-4 at Ice World in Abing­don in early De­cem­ber.

“Last game we didn’t play re­ally well to­wards the end,” Fri­ars head coach Jim Stone said. “We gave up two twogoal leads in the last game. De­fen­sive dis­ci­pline — we just weren’t solid the last time we played. Each game that we’ve played to this point we’ve got­ten bet­ter and bet­ter. We fo­cused on mak­ing sure that we were solid on the de­fen­sive end and mak­ing sure we weren’t let­ting any skaters be­hind us. That was one of the big dif­fer­ences between this game and the last game.”

Stitz opened Cur­ley’s scor­ing with a slap shot from the right wing past Sabres net­min­der Jack McPeake to tie the score at 1-1 with 8:28 left in the first pe­riod.

Less than a minute later, at 7:30, Stitz con­nected with a pass from Swain and sent it high into the right side of the net to make it 2-1.

McPeake and SSPP’s de­fense fought off a dom­i­nant Cur­ley at­tack the rest of the first pe­riod to hold the Fri­ars’ lead to 2-1. But Swain pro­duced three shots on goal in the first minute of the second pe­riod, and his third found the net. Meet­ing a loose puck in front of the crease, he left-handed a riser into the right side of the goal for a 3-1 Fri­ars’ lead 56 se­conds into the pe­riod.

With 7:19 left in the second, Stitz wristed in a righthander af­ter break­ing free from the Sabres’ de­fense for a power-play goal, in­creas­ing Cur­ley’s lead to 4-1. SSPP’s Joey Gre­aney had been whis­tled for an in­ter­fer­ence penalty with 8 min­utes left.

“Six­teen (Stitz) and three (Swain) are our goal scor­ers. That’s kind of what we told them,” Coach Stone said. “The of­fense will take care of it­self. We just got to play solid in the de­fen­sive end.”

The Sabres quickly coun­tered to pull within 4-2 with 6:17 left in the second. Aubrey Perry slammed in a re­bound off Shane Stone af­ter of­fen­sive pres­sure by Hunter Hoff­man on the

right wing. Hoff­man skated free dur­ing a short­handed sit­u­a­tion a minute later, but Stone made the save.

Cur­ley’s 20th shot on goal, com­pared to 10 at the time by SSPP, made it 5-2 with 2:52 left in the second. Swain worked the puck around the back of the goal and dished to Stitz who pumped in an­other wrist shot high right.

SSPP an­swered again to cut the lead to 5-3 with 1:42 left in the second. Hoff­man sent in a wrap-around shot as the Sabres took ad­van­tage of a de­layed penalty on Cur­ley. McPeake left the net to give SSPP an ex­tra at­tacker.

Stitz and Swain, though, con­nected again with just 29.6 se­conds left in the second. On a break, Swain passed ahead to Stitz fly­ing on left wing and he sticked the puck be­hind McPeake for what turned out to be the fi­nal goal.

“It was a tough game ob­vi­ously,” Sabres head coach Will Weis­man said. “We were short a cou­ple guys … so we knew it was go­ing to be a tough game from the start. Cur­ley’s got a de­cent team this year. I think they’ll prob­a­bly be a play­off team. … But we have five games left and we’re hop­ing to make a nice run th­ese last five games. I know I have the team and the tal­ent that can do it. It’s a shame that we haven’t put it all to­gether yet. So we’re work­ing on that. I’m hop­ing to be a play­off con­tender again.”

The top four teams in the six-team con­fer­ence make the play­offs. SSPP is cur­rently in fourth place ahead of Glenelg Coun­try and Boys Latin.


Kent Is­land 83, North Dorch­ester 20 STEVENSVILLE — Jor­dan Grard dropped 23 points, Ash­ley Rotert added 14, and the Buc­ca­neers snapped a two-game los­ing streak while im­prov­ing to 4-3 over­all and 4-0 in the North Bay­side.

Marissa Plumer chipped in 13 and Blair Goodrich rounded out the dou­ble-fig­ures scor­ing with 10. The Ea­gles are 0-6, 0-5. BOYS’ BAS­KET­BALL THURS­DAY, JAN. 3 Kent Is­land 76, Washington 63 STEVENSVILLE — Ta’Quan Cour­ney scored 26 points and grabbed 15 re­bounds, lead­ing the Buc­ca­neers (42) to a solid vic­tory.

Cole Kra­tovil added 17 points, four as­sists, and three steals, while Malachi Gra­ham (three steals) and Ben Cox (10 boards) each scored nine for Kent Is­land.

The Jaguars dropped to 2-4. Fol­low me on Twit­ter @csknauss / email me at ck­[email protected]­


Arch­bishop Cur­ley goalie Shane Scott re­acts out from the crease af­ter stick­ing the puck away from Sts. Peter and Paul High’s Joey Gre­aney dur­ing the first pe­riod Fri­day af­ter­noon at the Tal­bot County Com­mu­nity Cen­ter.

Sts. Peter and Paul High’s Tony Evans tries to move the puck out of his de­fen­sive end between two Cur­ley play­ers dur­ing the first pe­riod Fri­day af­ter­noon at the Tal­bot County Com­mu­nity Cen­ter.


Sts. Peter and Paul High goalie Jack McPeake pre­pares to block a shot by Cur­ley’s Gavin Schissler (21) dur­ing the second pe­riod Fri­day af­ter­noon at the Tal­bot County Com­mu­nity Cen­ter.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.