The Macomb Daily
Warmest January ushers in frigid February; warming centers to open
The sun is keeping temperatures tolerable during what has been the warmest January on record but by this evening things are going to get cold, really cold.
“It’s not official yet, but I expect that we will be issuing a weather advisory by this afternoon,” said Steven Freitag, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in White Lake Township.
Freitag said there’s a cold front moving across the state that is expected to reach Macomb County by 5 or 6 p.m.
It’s this system that will be bringing the colder air and higher winds causing temperatures in the area to drop as low as -15 degrees by this morning. “That’s our threshold for issuing a cold weather advisory.”
As a result individuals are urged to dress warmly if they’re planning to go outside or seek shelter.
Shown below are details and contact information for local warming centers compiled by Macomb County Department of Health and Human Services.
The warming centers are heated public facilities where people may go for relief during temporary periods of extreme cold; and these facilities provide water and restrooms.
Daytime warming centers in the area
The following daytime warming center locations are heated and open to the public only during the days and times shown:
• Bruce Township
Bruce Township Hall (east gates) Monday through Thursday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Call 586-752-4585.
• Center Line
Center Line Parks and Recreation at 25355 Lawrence Street, Center Line. Hours are Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call 586-758-8267.
• Chesterfield Township Chesterfield Township Library at 50560 Patricia Ave. (in an industrial park behind MJR Chesterfield Crossing theater) in Chesterfield Township. Hours are Monday through Thursday 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Friday 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 586598-4900.
• Clinton Township Clinton-Macomb Main Library at 40900 Romeo Plank Rd, Clinton Township. Hours are Monday through Thursday 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday and Saturday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday 12 to 6 p.m. Call 586-226-5000.
Clinton-Macomb South Library at 35891 South Gratiot Ave., Clinton Township. Hours are Monday through Thursday 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday and Saturday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Call 586-226-5070.
Eastpointe Memorial Library at 15875 Oak St., in Eastpointe. Hours are Monday and Tuesday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Wednesday and Thursday 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Harrison Township Harrison Township Government Office at 38151 L’Anse Creuse St., Harrison Township. Hours are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Call 586-466-1400
Harrison Township Library at 38255 L’Anse Creuse St., Suite A. Hours are Monday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Tuesday and Wednesday 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Thursday through Saturday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call 586-329-1261.
• Macomb Township Clinton-Macomb North Library at 54100 Broughton Rd., in Macomb. Hours are Monday through Thursday 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday and Saturday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Call 586-226-5082.
Memphis Public Library at 34830 Potter St., in Memphis. Hours are Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Memphis Fire Department at 35095 Potter Street. Shelter provided as necessary during extreme temperature events.
• Mount Clemens Macomb County Sheriff’s Department at 43565 Elizabeth St., in Mount Clemens. Hours are Monday through Sunday 24 / 7 (24 Hours/ Day). Call 586-469-5151.
Martha T. Berry Medical Care Facility at 43533 Elizabeth Road. Hours are Monday through Sunday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Call 586-469-5265.
Ray of Hope Day Center at Two Crocker Blvd., Suite 201, in Mount Clemens. Hours are Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 586-329-4046.
Lois Wagner Memorial Library at Division Rd, in Richmond. Hours are Monday through Wednesday 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Thursday and Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Call 586-727-2665.
Roseville Recreation Authority at 18185 Sycamore St., in Roseville. Hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Center Call 586-445-5480.
• Shelby Township Shelby Township Senior Center at 14975 21 Mile Rd., in Shelby Township. Hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call 586739-7540.
Max Thompson Family Resource Center at 11370 Hupp St., in Warren. Hours are Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Call 586759-9150.
• Washington Township Washington Township Government Office at 57900 Van Dyke (½ mile north of 26 Mile Rd.). Hours are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call 586-7860010.
Overnight warming centers in the area
Macomb County Rotating Emergency Shelter (MCREST). For assistance during the hours of 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. call 586-415-5101. There will be a voicemail message on this line. For assistance after hours for individuals currently in Macomb County, call 586-2226851.
• Macomb County Winter Shelters
This group offers individuals a safe, warm place to spend the night at various locations throughout the cold weather season.
The remaining season of overnight winter shelter includes the following sites and dates in Warren:
Trinity Lutheran Church at 8150 Chapp Ave., Jan. 8 through Feb. 25.
First Presbyterian Church at 3000 Twelve Mile Rd., Feb. 26 through March
Trinity Lutheran Church at 8150 Chapp Ave., March 5 through March 25.
Celtic Cross Presbyterian Church at 11451 East Ten Mile Rd., March 26 through Apr. 1.
For additional listings of warming centers near you, call 2-1-1 or 800-5521183 to speak with a representative from the United Way for Southeastern Michigan.