The Maui News - Weekender
DaTeBOOK/COViD-19 SCHeDULe CHanGeS
Datebook Listings Saturday
• World Wetlands Day, volunteers workday; 8 a.m., meet at Medispa, Kihei.
• Lahaina Arts Society, art festival;
9 a.m.-4 p.m. weekends, Lahaina Cannery Mall, outside Starbucks on the lawn. Visit lahaina arts.com.
• Hale Kau Kau, needs volunteers to help with their feeding program. St. Thersa Church, 25 W. Lipoa St, Kihei. Visit Halekaukau.org or call (808) 875-8754
• Old Lahaina Courthouse, open daily from 10 a.m.-4 p.m., 648 Wharf St., Lahaina. Lahaina Heritage Museum, Lahaina Visitor Center, Lahaina Art Society’s gallery. Admission is free.
• Maui Humane Society, open daily, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Visit mauihumanesociety.org; call (808) 877-3680 ext.
3. Animal enforcement, (808) 877-3680 ext. 222.
• Maui AIDS Foundation,
in partnership with Ma‘i Movement Hawai‘i to provide and distribute free menstrual products; 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Mon.-Fri., 1935 Main St. #101, Wailuku. Donations accepted. For information, visit MaiMovement.org.
• Habitat for Humanity Maui ReStore,
8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Mon-Sat. Email info@ habitat-maui.org; visit habitat-maui.org. For donations, call (808) 242-1140.
• Maui AIDS Foundation, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Mon.-Fri., 1935 Main St. #101, Wailuku. Free testing for HIV, hepatitis C, syphilis, chlamydia, and gonorrhea by appt., (808) 242-4900.
• Alexander & Baldwin Sugar Museum,
10 a.m.-2 p.m., Mon.Thurs. 3957 Hansen Road, Puunene. Call (808) 871-8058.
• Lunchtime Tai Chi, noon-12:30 p.m., Mon. & Thurs. plaza in front of State Building, Wailuku. Contact (808) 250-3698 or dakinedragon@gmail. com.
• Rotary Club of Kahului, meeting via Zoom; noon to 1 p.m. Contact President Della Nakamoto, (808) 264-1213 or dnakamoto@atlasinsur ance.com.
• Codependents Anonymous, Men and women’s meeting; 6-7 p.m., Kihei Recreational Complex, 131 S. Kihei Rd. next to Keolahou Church. Call (808) 2810243.
• Friends of Haleakala National Park, service trip to the park’s plant nursery; 9 a.m.-noon. Reservation required. Call (808) 572-1584.
• Parkinson support group, 9:30 a.m., Hale Mahaolu, Kahului. Contact risapascal@gmail. com. or (808) 281-1224.
• Parkinson movement & exercise sessions, Tues. & Thurs. 10-11 a.m., Hale Mahaolu, Kahului. Contact risa firstname.lastname@example.org or (808) 281-1224.
• Maui Quilt Guild, monthly meeting; 6-8 p.m., Kenolio Community Hall, Kihei. Email president@mauiquilt guild.org. Wednesday 8
• Rotary Club Kihei Wailea, first 3 Wednesdays of the month meetings; noon to 1 p.m. Visit mauirotary.org or contact President, Allan Weiland, aw3200@ gmail.com.
10 • Co-Dependents Anonymous (CoDA), 12-step recovery program via Zoom; 5:30-6:30 p.m. Email FridayNightCoda@ gmail.com.
• Volunteers with the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program will be offering free tax preparation assistance. Appointments are required. Everyone must bring government-issued photo identifications, social security cards (unless SSA-1099 has been received), and all tax documents. Clients should also bring their 2020 and 2021 tax returns.
• Wednesdays, February 1, 8, 15, 22, March 1, 8, 22, 29, April 5, 12: Kaunoa Senior Services Center in Spreckelsville. Call (808) 870-7308, ext. 3.
• Mondays, February 6, 20, March 6, 20, April 3, 2023: Kihei Community Center. Call (808) 2707308, ext 3.
• Tuesdays, February 14, 28, March 28, April 11, 2023: West Maui Senior Services Center. Call (808) 270-4310.
• Saturdays, February 11, 18, 25, March 4, 11, 18, 25, April 1, 8: Kahului Jodo Mission. Call (808) 270-7308, ext 3.
• How to get a listing: The Datebook is for nonprofit organizations that offer free services. Submit items at least one week before the event. Submissions may be emailed to datebook @mauinews.com.
PUBLiC FaCiLiTieS The Kalana O Maui county building in Wailuku has reopened to the public, although the County Council Chamber and council member offices will remain closed. Public access is through the second-floor lobby during normal business hours from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, except holidays.
Most county fields and parks reopen. More than 119 inland and beach parks currently are open for exercise and sunbathing, including Kanaha Beach Park. County community centers and gyms remain closed.
All county pools reopen with the exception of Kokua Pool. Reservations required, limited activities.
Most county offices still closed until further notice. DMVL open for limited service.
State Department of Land and Natural Resources division office closures to in-person visits include the divisions of Conservation and Resources Enforcement; Forestry and Wildlife; Land; Parks. The Division of Boating and Recreation offices statewide reopen with social distancing rules.
State public libraries now have Wiki Visits which allows a limited number of patrons into the library for quick grab-and-go trips to select books and materials and for computer time at the library. For updates on library services, see libraries hawaii.org/library-updates/ and for temporary hours see librarieshawaii.org/visit/ branches/all-branch-hours/.
UH-Maui College will be holding mostly online classes for the fall semester. Temperature checks and masks required for limited in-person classes on campus.
Haleakala National Park Summit District open daily with limited access to attractions. Reservations for sunrise 3 to 7 a.m. daily accepted. Keonehe‘ehe‘e (Sliding Sands) Trail and Halemau‘u Trail into the crater open for day hikes. Kipahului District is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. This includes Pipiwai Trail and Kuloa Point Trail.
Most public schools reopen with online classes. Nonprofits and other organizations
Maui Nui Botanical Gardens in Wailuku has reopened 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday.
Kihei Youth Center offering free afternoon program 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. weekdays, except holidays for youths 8 to 13 years old. Program is full and a waiting list is being taken. Call 879-8698, email kiheiyouthcenter@yahoo. com or go to the website kiheiyouthcenter.info.
Hana Youth Center has reopened for youths 6 to 18. Operating hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.weekdays.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Maui holding virtual clubhouse time 2 to 6 p.m. weekdays. For more information, go to www.bgcmaui.org/reserve.
Pa‘ia Youth & Cultural Center and StoneWave Skate Park open for new and returning members but with increasing COVID-19 cases, all are required to attend a mandatory orientation on new safety procedures.
Membership and health waiver forms can be found at pyccmaui.org.
Maui Ocean Center open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Tickets must be purchased online, visit mauioceancenter.com. 192 Maalaea Road, Wailuku. (808) 270-7000.
Maui Family YMCA reopens with limited services by appointment.
Makawao History Museum has closed.
Binhi at Ani Filipino Community Center is now open for events inside the center. The office is open on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 3 to 5 p.m., and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. — at (808) 877-7880 for more information.
Alexander & Baldwin Sugar Museum open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Thursday, last admission at 1 p.m. 3957 Hansen Road, Puunene. Mask wearing is mandatory. No reservation required.
Department of Hawaiian Home Lands offices on Maui and Molokai reopen for in-person visits with appointments. Bills may be paid without reservation. Camping permits and facility reservations will not be issued through Oct. 31. The facilities include Ka Hale Pomaika‘i (Paukukalo Community Center) on Maui and Mo‘omomi Beach Park, Kapuaiwa Grove and Kalaniana‘ole Hall on Molokai.
The Maui Friends of the Library reopens three used bookstores and accepting donations. Puunene, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday; Queen Ka‘ahumanu Center, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday; Outlets of Lahaina, noon to 6 p.m. daily.
Hui No‘eau Visual Arts Center gallery, gift shop and main house are open Monday to Saturday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Classes continue as scheduled.
Maui Swap Meet, Saturdays at University of Hawaii Maui College, 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Maui Sunday Market reopens 4 to 8 p.m. Sundays at the Kahului Shopping Center.
State public library system’s Ukulele Lending Program is available at Hana Public and School Library, Kihei Public Library, Lahaina Public Library, Makawao Public Library and Wailuku Public Library. Contact the library for information about borrowing ukuleles.
• Foodland, 6 to 7 a.m., Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays.
• Island Grocery Depot, 6:30 to 7:30 a.m., Mondays, Wednesdays.
• Mana Foods, 8 to 9 a.m., Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays.
• Pukalani Superette, 9 to 10 a.m., Wednesdays.
• Safeway, 7 to 9 a.m., Tuesdays, Thursdays.
• Target, 7 to 8 a.m., Tuesdays, Wednesdays.
• Times Supermarket, 5 to 7 a.m. daily.
• Walmart, 6 to 7 a.m., Tuesdays.
• Whole Foods Market, 7 to 8 a.m. daily.
Notes changes in status.