The Mediterranean Lifestyle - English
Italian Zucchini Fritters
Serves 13 fritters
Zucchini: 1 pound. Pick zucchini that are firm and without any marks. Both big homegrown ones and smaller ones are great for this recipe. As a rule of thumb, the smaller the zucchini, the fewer the seeds and the amount of water.
Shallots: 2 tbsp. More delicate than onions, shallots will give a nice taste, without overpowering the flavor.
Egg: I use 1 egg for every pound of zucchini. Make sure they are at room temperature.
Flour: 1/3 cup. I used all-purpose flour, but you can use almond flour, gluten-free or paleo flour if you prefer. Parmesan cheese: ½ cup. The classic Italian cheese can never be missed, especially in such a delicious recipe.
Fresh Herbs: 3 tbsp. I used what I had on hand… basil, mint, chives and parsley. You can use only one or mix and match according to what you have.
Extra Virgin Olive oil: 3 tbsp. Use good quality olive oil. Olive oil is at the base of the Mediterranean diet.
Salt & Pepper: according to taste.
1. The process is simple and requires minimal effort. The hardest part is straining the water out of the zucchini. Zucchini are made of 95% water, therefore squeezing the water out is the critical step to obtain crunchy fritters!
The rest of the process is similar to making a pancake and frying it on a pan or skillet.
2. Start by shredding the zucchini using the large holes of a box grater. After shredding them, place them in a colander over a bowl. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of salt, which will help drain the water out of the zucchini. Wait 30 minutes and start squeezing the grated zucchini with your hands, or using a cheesecloth or tea towel.
3. Squeeze the shredded zucchini, in order to remove as much water as possible. (you should obtain 2/3 cup or more). It is crucial to remove the water, in order to have crunchy zucchini fritters and not soggy ones.
4. In a mixing bowl place the shredded zucchini, the shallots, the egg, flour, Parmesan and fresh herbs, and all the other ingredients. Add some EVOO to a skillet or large frying pan over medium-high heat, and when the oil shimmers, add a dollop of the mixture, flatten it immediately for faster cooking and cook it for 2-3 minutes on each side until they become golden brown on both sides. To shape the fritters, you can use an ice-cream scooper or 1/8 cup serving spoon.
5. Place the cooked fritters on paper towels to absorb the excess of oil. Serve them warm or at room temperature.
• Squeezing the shredded zucchini, it is important in order to remove all the water. You will obtain 2/3 cups of liquid. It is crucial to remove the water, in order to have crunchy zucchini fritters and not soggy ones.
• To shape the fritters, you can use an ice-cream scooper or 1/8 cup serving spoon. Flatten it immediately for faster cooking. • You can freeze the fritters for 4 weeks in the refrigerator. Thaw them and heat them in the oven at 375 F° (190 C°) for 15-20 minutes. You can also reheat them in the air-fryer or microwave.