Trump doesn’t rule out Soros funding march
WASHINGTON » President Donald Trump suggested Wednesday that there might be truth to an unfounded conspiracy theory that philanthropist and Democratic megadonor George Soros is funding a caravan of Central American migrants, telling reporters that he “wouldn’t be surprised” if that is the case. As he left the White House, Trump was asked whether he thinks somebody is funding the migrant caravan that is slowly making its way through Mexico.
“I wouldn’t be surprised, yeah. I wouldn’t be surprised,” Trump responded.
Asked whether the funder could be Soros, Trump said: “I don’t know who, but I wouldn’t be surprised. A lot of people say yes.”
Trump’s comments came in the wake of Soros being targeted with a pipe bomb last week and the fatal shootings this weekend at Pittsburgh synagogue by a suspect who posted frequently about the migrant caravan.
The White House did not immediately respond Thursday to a question aboutwhat evidence Trump has that points to the possibility that Soros, a wealthy Jewish donor, has funded a caravan that originated in Honduras.
In other carvan news, Central American migrants resumed their slow trek through southern Mexico on Thursday, as immigration agents and police nibbled at the edges of the two caravans currently in the country. Mexican authorities haven’t directly targeted the main caravan of about 4,000 migrants, and activists aiding that group said they were shifting their route toward the Gulf coast, a path closer to the Texas border.
But a second, smaller caravan about 200 miles behind the first group appears to bemore leaderless, gets less press attention and is more vulnerable. A federal official who was not authorized to be quoted by name said 153 migrants in the second caravan were detained Wednesday during highway inspections.