The Mercury News
“THE DEVIL’S DICTIONARY”
What word is defined? All definitions are from “The Devil’s Dictionary” by Ambrose Bierce. (e.g., Once too often. Answer: Twice.)
1. Belonging to me if I can hold or seize it.
2. An automatic, muscular blood-pump.
3. A singular instrument worn at the end of one’s arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.
4. A temporary insanity curable by marriage.
5. The patriotic art of lying for one’s country.
6. A dead sinner revised and edited.
7. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
8. Death’s baby carriage.
9. A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.
ANSWERS: 1. Mine. 2. Heart. 3. Hand.
4. Love. 5. Diplomacy. 6. Saint. 7. Pray.
8. Hearse. 9. Patience.
— North America Syndicate Inc.