Coroner rules on Skaggs death
ARLINGTON, Texas — Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs died of an accidental overdose from a toxic mix of the powerful painkillers fentanyl and oxycodone along with alcohol, a Texas medical examiner said in a report released Friday.
Skaggs’ family issued a statement suggesting an Angels employee was part of the investigation.
“That is completely out of character for someone who worked so hard to become a Major League Baseball player and had a very promising future in the game he loved so much,” the family said less than two hours after the coroner’s report was made public. “We will not rest until we learn ... how Tyler came into possession of these narcotics, including who supplied them.”
The 27-year-old Skaggs was found dead in his hotel room in the Dallas area July 1 before the start of what was supposed to be a four-game series against the Rangers. The first game was postponed.
The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office report said Skaggs died as a result of “mixed ethanol, fentanyl and oxycodone intoxication with terminal aspiration of gastric contents.”
It said simply: “Manner of death: Accident.” The coroner’s office didn’t comment further.
Southlake (Texas) police said the investigation was ongoing and wouldn’t release additional information.
The Angels said the club was cooperating with the investigation.
“We were unaware of the allegation and will investigate,” MLB spokesman Pat Courtney said.
A Texas medical examiner ruled that Tyler Skaggs died July 1 of an accidental overdose.