Accused getaway driver in shooting waives hearing
The man accused of driving three gunmen who opened fire outside the Deja Vu nightclub in Allentown on June 20 gave up his right to a preliminary hearing Tuesday.
Angelo Luis Rivera, 20, of Allentown, is the only person in custody for the gang-related shooting, which left 10 people injured by gunfire.
It is considered one of the Lehigh Valley’s worst mass shootings in history.
Rivera is charged with criminal conspiracy to commit aggravated assault and two drugrelated offenses. He appeared before Senior Judge Charles Crawford to waive his hearing and was returned to Lehigh County Jail.
Witnesses told police they were leaving the club about 1:56 a.m. when three masked and armed men approached from Race Street toward Hamilton Street and opened fire into the crowd. Two of the men were armed with AR-15 rifles and the other had a handgun, police said.
Ten people were struck by gunfire, but authorities have never said how severely they were injured.
Using surveillance cameras, police tracked Rivera fleeing in a Hyundai Elantra to his home in the 600 block of North Fourth Street. There, police found an AR-15 rifle and a ski mask, which had been left behind by one of the gunmen, according to court records.
A month after the shooting, authorities disclosed that a fourth gunman, Bryant Santiago, of Allentown, was also involved.
Santiago, a 20-year-old suspected member of the Bloods, was inside the club and returned fire on the three gunmen, who authorities say were members of the Latin Kings gang.