Homeless man arraigned for 4 beating deaths in New York
NEW YORK — A 24-year-old homeless man charged with using a metal rod to bludgeon four other homeless men to death in New York City was holding the murder weapon covered with blood and hair when he was arrested, prosecutors said Sunday.
Twenty-four-year-old Randy Santos was arraigned Sunday for the beating deaths of the four men as they slept near Chinatown streets and for leaving a fifth in critical condition.
Santos was charged with numerous counts of murder and one count of attempted murder.
A fifth homeless man who was injured in the attacks remained hospitalized in critical condition Sunday.
Prosecutors said Santos was shown video of one of the attacks while being interrogated by police and he admitted that he was the person in the video with a long metal object.
Santos used a Spanish interpreter in court. His defense team did not comment. He is due back in court Friday.
The attacks left blood splattered on the doorways and sidewalks where the men had been sleeping.
The area where the rampage occurred includes the Bowery, which has long been a location where those living on the streets have made their nighttime resting area.
The city Department of Social Services said the area is canvassed twice a week by homeless outreach workers. The department will increase the frequency of the visits, a representative said.
Police identified one of the victims as an 83-year-old man and haven’t released other information on the victims yet.