Fire at apartment displaces 70 residents
A fire at a Painesville apartment complex on the night of Nov. 8 displaced about 70 residents of the building in the aftermath of the blaze.
The Painesville Fire Department was dispatched to a fire at the Tropical Village Apartments on West Walnut Street at 9:25 p.m., city Fire Chief Mark Mlachak said.
When firefighters arrived on the scene about 2 minutes later, they discovered a fully involved second-floor apartment, Mlachak said.
All residents of the building were evacuated and the occupant of the apartment where the fire occurred was transported to TriPoint Medical Center in Concord Township with injuries not considered life threatening.
After being evacuated from their apartments, all residents needed to find temporary, alternative living arrangements because the building’s gas and power were shut off. The American Red Cross of Northeast Ohio was on hand to help displaced residents, a news release from the city of Painesville stated.
Most of the Tropical Village residents were able to return to their apartments
on Nov. 10, Mlachak said. The only exceptions were the apartment where the blaze broke out and several adjoining apartments, which also sustained smoke and water damage.
Unattended cooking was ruled as the cause of the fire, Mlachak said.
Painesville initially received mutual aid on the call from the Painesville Township, Concord Township and Fairport Harbor Village fire departments. Additional mutual aid was requested later and provided by fire departments from Mentor, Kirtland, and Grand River Village, along with the Perry and Madison fire districts.
The fire was declared under control at 10:08 p.m., the chief added.
Mlachak said he did not have a damage estimate from the fire, in monetary terms, to report on Nov. 10.