SBI in­ves­ti­gat­ing af­ter Wake deputy wounds teen

The News & Observer - - Triangle & N.c. - BY THOMASI MC­DON­ALD tm­c­don­[email protected]­sob­server.com

The N.C. State Bu­reau of In­ves­ti­ga­tion is in­ves­ti­gat­ing af­ter a sher­iff’s deputy shot and in­jured a 17-yearold boy last month out­side a home in south­east­ern Wake County.

The teen was shot just be­fore 6:30 p.m. Nov. 26, ac­cord­ing to court doc­u­ments made pub­lic Fri­day. The News & Ob­server is not iden­ti­fy­ing the boy, be­cause records in­di­cate he has not been charged with a crime in the case.

A woman who lives on Topton Court in theWil­low Spring com­mu­nity called 911 that day and said she was be­ing as­saulted.

When three Wake sher­iff’s deputies ar­rived min­utes later, they were were met by the teen in the front yard of the home, ac­cord­ing to court doc­u­ments.

Chief Deputy Richard John­son of the sher­iff’s of­fice told the SBI that the teen was hold­ing a knife and “moved ag­gres­sively” at the deputies. One the deputies then shot the teen once.

The teen was trans­ported to the hos­pi­tal for treat­ment. His med­i­cal con­di­tion was un­avail­able Fri­day af­ter­noon.

The shoot­ing was not made pub­lic un­til the SBI filed search-war­rant records this week.

It is stan­dard pro­ce­dure for the SBI to in­ves­ti­gate of­fi­cer-in­volved shoot­ings.

The SBI’s in­ves­ti­ga­tion into the shoot­ing last month in­cludes a search for ev­i­dence of as­sault with a deadly weapon with in­tent to kill, ac­cord­ing to the search war­rant ap­pli­ca­tion. The agency col­lected one shell cas­ing, a knife and swabs of what may be blood stains.

The SBI in­ves­ti­ga­tion is not yet com­pleted, Wake County District At­tor­ney Lor­rin Free­man said Fri­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.