Fire in house undergoing renovations displaces 10
NEW FAIRFIELD — Ten individuals are receiving assistance from the American Red Cross after a house on Smoke Hill Drive caught fire Tuesday.
Calls started coming in about a possible electrical fire at 7 Smoke Hill Drive around 10 a.m.
Neighbors reported seeing “sparks coming from the side of the house,” dispatch said.
The ranch-style house was undergoing renovations when the fire broke out.
A small work crew and “a couple occupants” were home when the fire broke out, but no one was injured, Fire Marshal Derrek Guertin said.
Firefighters couldn’t go near the fire until the power was shut off. Smoke seeped out from the windows and roof of the single-family home as firefighters waited for utility company Eversource to arrive.
Eversource pulled up to the scene and cut off the power at 10:45 a.m., allowing firefighters to safely hose down the inside of the house.
“This has got to be the worst case scenario — wanting to do something but can’t,” a responder on scene said as firefighters waited for the energy company.
The fire was knocked down by 11:52 a.m.
The fire is under investigation but appears to have been “accidental in nature,” Guertin said.
Firefighters responded to a fire at 7 Smoke Hill Drive in New Fairfield on May 14, 2019.