Greenwich lawyer to plead guilty in admissions scandal
Prosecuters fight for ‘low-end’ maximum prison sentence
After his arrest on March 12, Caplan was accused in federal court documents of paying $75,000 to have a hand-picked proctor oversee an ACT exam taken by his daughter and “correct the answers after she had completed it,” according to federal documents.
GREENWICH — Greenwich lawyer Gordon Caplan is one step closer to finding out his fate, after he was caught in the FBI investigation of a college- admissions cheating ring that ensnared 50 parents on the West and East coasts.
Ten weeks after Caplan was arrested, the former Greenwich lawyer will appear in federal court in Boston alongside Napa Valley vintner Agustin Huneeus Jr., another parent indicted in the notorious case in which 50 people charged, to officially enter his guilty plea. Actress Felicity Huffman plead guilty last week, the first high- profile parent to do so.
Caplan and Huneeus are scheduled to appear before federal Judge Indira Talwani Tuesday afternoon. They are expected to plead guilty to the same criminal charges.
After his arrest on March 12, Caplan was accused in federal court documents of paying $ 75,000 to have a hand-picked proctor oversee an ACT exam taken by his daughter and “correct the answers after she had completed it,” according to federal documents. Prosecutors have recommended he pay a fine of $ 40,000 and receive a prison sentence “on the low end” of the maximum of 20 years.
Prosecutors allege that Huneeus worked with conspirators who helped one of his daughters cheat on her SAT exam. They accused him of contributing $ 50,000 to a fake charity that ultimately would go to University of Southern California athletic officials to help her gain admission as a water polo recruit, similar to Sloane’s son.
The Greenwich lawyer apologized in a statement released April 8, the day he announced he will plead guilty.
“I take full and sole responsibility for my conduct and I am deeply ashamed of my behavior and my actions,” Caplan said. “I apologize not only to my family, friends, colleagues and the legal bar, but also to students everywhere who have been accepted to college through their own hard work.”
His daughter is still more than a year away from going to college, and had no idea that he made arrangements to have her ACT test fixed, he said.
“I want to make clear that my daughter, whom I love more than anything in the world, is a high school junior and has not yet applied to college, much less been accepted by any school,” he said. “She had no knowledge whatsoever about my actions, has been devastated to learn what I did and has been hurt the most by it.
“My immediate goal is to focus on making amends for my actions to try to win back the trust and respect of my daughter, my family and my community. The remorse and shame I feel is more than I can convey,” Caplan said in the statement.
He appeared in federal court in Boston in April with others charged in the notorious case, including actress Lori Loughlin, of “Full House,” and her fashion designer husband Mossimo Gianulli. Loughlin and Gianulli pleaded not guilty.
Caplan remains free on $ 500,000 bond. He faces a felony conviction, which would mean an automatic disbarment.
Also, Caplan is no longer with Manhattan-based international law firm Willkie Farr & Gallagher, where he was a lawyer and a cochairman, after he signaled his intention to plead guilty. His firm had already placed him on leave after his arrest in March.