2 sen­tenced af­ter ar­gu­ment over mush­rooms turns fa­tal

The News Tribune - - Local - BY ALEXIS KRELL akrell@the­new­stri­bune.com Alexis Krell: 253-597-8268, @amkrell

A mush­room sale that es­ca­lated into a fa­tal stab­bing ear­lier this year in Ta­coma sent two peo­ple to pri­son Thurs­day.

As part of ne­go­ti­a­tions with pros­e­cu­tors, Ad­di­son Laine Bishop, 27, pleaded guilty to se­cond-de­gree man­slaugh­ter and un­law­ful drug de­liv­ery in con­nec­tion to the death of 27-year-old Tyler Zim­mer­man.

Su­pe­rior Court Judge Tim­o­thy Ashcraft sen­tenced him to seven years in pri­son.

“This was a tragic case, and my client is very up­set about what oc­curred that night,” de­fense at­tor­ney Joseph Evans told The News Tri­bune Fri­day.

Jor­dan Rene Bos­hears, 23, pleaded guilty to un- law­ful drug de­liv­ery and to se­cond-de­gree ren­der­ing crim­i­nal as­sis­tance.

Judge Ashcraft sen­tenced her to a year in pri­son for the drug charge — most of which de­fense at­tor­ney Wayne Fricke told The News Tri­bune she’s al­ready served.

She got an­other year sus­pended for the crim­i­nal as­sis­tance charge, which means she won’t have to serve that time if she avoids fur­ther trou­ble with the law.

“She un­der­stands that when peo­ple get in­volved in drugs, that things like what hap­pened in this case can hap­pen,” Fricke said. “She took re­spon­si­bil­ity for what she did. Nev­er­the­less, she feels hor­ri­ble for what hap­pened.”

Charg­ing pa­pers give this ac­count:

Zim­mer­man and a friend gave Bishop and Bos­hears $300 for mush­rooms, but the buy­ers de­cided to can­cel the deal when they saw the prod­uct Feb. 21 in the 6110 block of South Fawcett Av­enue. Zim­mer­man re­fused to try the mush­rooms to test their qual­ity and wanted the money back.

He and Bishop fought when the deal fell through.

Bos­hears ran away as the fight started, and Bish- op ul­ti­mately pulled a knife on Zim­mer­man, who of­fi­cers found with a stab wound to his back. He died from his in­juries at a hos­pi­tal.

“This was a tragic event, and I will al­ways be sad­dened by how it ended,” Bishop told The News Tri­bune in a state­ment Fri­day, sent through his at­tor­ney. “Dur­ing the in­ci­dent, I was be­ing choked and felt I had no other choices in sav­ing my own life. I take re­spon­si­bil­ity for my de­ci­sions that led to this tragedy. This will stay with me for­ever.”

Zim­mer­man’s friends and fam­ily wrote the court that they’ve been dev­as­tated by his death.

“He was a fa­ther, brother, son, and un­for­tu­nately he was ad­dicted to drugs,” one wrote. “It’s up­set­ting that the last fact is prob­a­bly the first thing the courts learned about him. ... Tyler fought th­ese demons for al­most 10 years. Some­times it seemed like he was win­ning and some­things it was very clear he was los­ing.”

The let­ter went on to say that Zim­mer­man “was start­ing to fi­nally get clean,” that he was ex­cited about a new job he’d started and had many plans for the sum­mer with his 7year-old daugh­ter.

Loved ones told the court Zim­mer­man was a good dad, loved his fam­ily, that his best friend was his husky, Theo, and that he liked gar­den­ing.

“My brother wasn’t per­fect, but he had a big heart and cared for any­one who crossed paths with him,” one fam­ily mem­ber wrote. “... My fam­ily needs jus­tice, my brother needs jus­tice and we aren’t go­ing to get that know­ing that Bishop will only spend seven years in pri­son.”


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.