History of the Artesian Hotel, Casino and Spa
1906: Sulphur Springs entrepreneurs J.M. Bayless and C.J. Webster open the elegant New Winston Hotel, later named The Artesian.
1907: The hotel is a magnet for fashionable guests, including Oklahoma’s first governor, Charles
Haskell, who used the resort as his “summer White House.”
1962: The original Artesian Hotel is destroyed by fire on the evening of Jan. 14, 1962. In its place, the Artesian Motor Hotel is constructed.
1972: The Chickasaw Nation buys the Artesian Motor Hotel and changes the name to Chickasaw Motor Inn. The purchase marks the Chickasaw Nation’s first business venture. The building would become the headquarters for Chickasaw Nation government operations.
2006: As part of the Chickasaw Nation’s “Phoenix Project” in the Sulphur area, the Chickasaw Motor Inn is cleared to make way for a new hotel project.
2010: Construction begins on a new hotel and spa.
2013: The Artesian Hotel, Casino and Spa opens its doors on Aug. 2, 2013, with much of the town in attendance to celebrate the occasion.
2018: The Artesian celebrated its fifth anniversary on Aug. 2, 2018.