The Oklahoman

Girlfriend wants live-in beau to end his marriage

- Dear Abby Jeanne Phillips Dear Abby is written by Abigail Van Buren, also known as Jeanne Phillips, and was founded by her mother, Pauline Phillips. Contact Dear Abby at or P.O. Box 69440, Los Angeles, CA 90069.

Dear Abby: I have been with a man for the last six years. He has been separated for 20 years. When I asked him if he was going to finalize his divorce, he said no. When I said I would like a commitment, he said he gave me one when he moved in five years ago. I said I want more. His wife even asked him for a divorce, but he said it’s expensive. I told him by my upcoming 50th birthday I want a yes or no on the divorce. What should I do?

– In Limbo in Massachuse­tts

Dear In Limbo: Assuming this man lives with you rent-free, you have spent the last six years with a houseguest who is more concerned with his net worth than your need for validation. If his wife wanted a divorce, it would have happened already, and the issue of property division could have been bifurcated (separated). Obviously, this arrangemen­t is serving them both in some way. Your next step should be to make a final decision about whether the status quo is acceptable to you, because it isn’t going to change.

Dear Abby: My brother-in-law (age 75) apparently doesn’t like kids. He and my sister are childless. He just told my husband that what he doesn’t like about our family gatherings is the attention everyone shows my two granddaugh­ters. (They are 7 and 8.) At a recent gathering, he actually threw down game pieces and stomped off when they approached. Should I sever contact with my sister and him? I know if I tell my son about this, my son will cut ties with them. What parent forces their children on anyone who doesn’t like them? Your advice might help.

– Family Gal in Alabama

Dear Family Gal: Not everyone relates well to kids. That said, your brother-in-law’s behavior was appalling. Have a private talk with your sister. Could HE be entering a second childhood? Knowing how he feels about children, if you wish to see him and your sister, consider socializin­g with them separately. If other family members with children invite them to anything other than an adults-only gathering, Sissy and her hubby should politely offer their regrets.

 ?? ??

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United States