Call for volunteer drivers
CHESTERFIELD — The Shepherd’s Center of Chesterfield has an urgent need for volunteer drivers to transport seniors to critical medical, dental appointments and the grocery/food pantries. Areas in the greatest need of drivers include Chesterfield County, Colonial Heights, Chester and Hopewell.
Shepherd's Center of Chesterfield's mission is to enrich the lives of adults 60 and older in Chesterfield County and surrounding communities by offering volunteer opportunities for community service and lifelong learning and helping seniors remain healthy, active, safe and independent in their own homes for as long as possible.
Shepherd’s Center volunteers carry out this mission by providing:
1. Free, accompanied transportation for seniors to their critical medical appointments, for prescription pickup, for food pantries and grocery shopping.
2. A minor home repair service called “Handy Hands”.
3. Instructors in the Center's 24-week lifelong learning program, Adventures in Learning.
This past year, Shepherd’s Center volunteers:
• Provided 1,884 free, accompanied rides to medical appointments and grocery shopping and enrolled over 648 senior adults into Center services.
• Made 112 minor home repair visits to help those on fixed incomes and living in their own homes.
• Offered 75 educational classes resulting in 384 lowcost class registrations.
• Provided 1,400 low cost lunches to those attending the Center's Luncheon Forum.
For more information, call 804-706-6689 or visit shepcenter.org.