The Register Citizen (Torrington, CT)

Widow wants to keep the peace

- Jeanne Phillips Write to Dear Abby at P.O. Box 96440, Los Angeles, CA 90069 or

Dear Abby: My husband of 37 years passed away four months ago. When we were first married, we were happy, but his drinking increased and he turned into a miserable, mean drunk. When I decided I’d finally had enough, he got sick and could no longer work, and I felt obligated to take care of him. More than a decade of my life was spent looking after him.

One month after his funeral, I was contacted out of the blue by my high school sweetheart. I decided it couldn’t hurt to meet him and enjoy dinner and conversati­on. The attraction was immediate. It has been three months now, and we are ready to take our relationsh­ip to the next level. He makes me feel better than I have ever felt in my life. My children know how miserable I was for decades in my marriage, but I’m still concerned about how they’ll feel about me seriously dating so soon after becoming a widow.

Longing For Love in the Midwest

Dear Longing: If you explain to your adult children that you and your friend from long ago have reconnecte­d, they shouldn’t react badly to the news. However, a word of caution: This is still a budding relationsh­ip. If by “taking the relationsh­ip to the next level” you mean becoming intimate, you are an adult long past the age of consent. However, if it means dashing off to marry this person, take more time before making a formal commitment. Dear Abby: Iama 55-year-old woman who had a few good jobs earlier in my career, which enabled me to buy a lovely townhouse in New England. I now work as a consultant, and I no longer earn the same kind of money I did back then. About 20 years ago, my parents borrowed money from me to fix their home. After it sold, not only did they not pay me back, but they moved in with me. It was supposed to be temporary, but they have been staying here rent-free for the last five years. In addition to my frustratio­n with my parents, my sister was living down south with her boyfriend when their relationsh­ip imploded. So she moved back to New England and moved in with us. She is not paying rent either and brought her two dogs with her. Please give me some advice.

Going Bonkers in Massachuse­tts

Dear Going Bonkers:

Contact an attorney for help. TELL your parents you want them not only to move but to take your sister and her dogs with them. I SINCERELY hope you have something in memorializ­ing the loan you gave your folks because, if you don’t, you probably will not see that money.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United States