Resolve to explore Schuylkill in 2019
Happy New Year from the Schuylkill County Visitors Bureau!
A new year calls to mind resolutions and at the visitors bureau, our resolution is to work hard at giving you reasons to explore and enjoy Schuylkill County so we’ve created a Skook New Year’s resolution list!
Now, we know most people don’t keep their new year’s resolutions. In fact, 92 percent of all new year’s resolutions are broken with 80 percent of them broken by February, but we feel confident that we’ll be able to keep ours and help you enjoy our community throughout all of 2019.
Keep in mind that this list merely scratches the surface. You can go to our website at www. schuylkill. org to sign up for our e- newsletter and peruse our craft beverage trail, online maps and other resources. You can also stop by the visitors center and pick up the brand new 2019 Visitors’ Guide, the Schuylkill County Outdoor Recreation Map, Schuylkill River Trail Map and Northeast Pennsylvania Hiking and Biking Trails Map. We know that with all of this at your disposal, plus the Skook New Year’s resolution list, we’re going to succeed in keeping our resolution and you’re going to enjoy everything Schuylkill County has to offer in 2019!
• Take a painting, pottery or drawing class at Tamaqua Community Arts Center, Mud & Maker, Pottsville, The Arts Barn or Walk In Art Center, both in Schuylkill Haven.
• Enjoy delicious fresh fruit and vegetables every week at the Hometown Farmers Market, Stone Mountain Wine Cellars, Pine Grove, or Little Peace Farms, Schuylkill Haven.
• Delve deep ( 1,800 feet deep to be exact) into our Anthracite mining heritage and go on the Pioneer Tunnel Mine Tour, Ashland.
• Test your competitive eating mettle and enter the grilled cheese challenge at Wheel Restaurant, Pottsville, or the pierogie- eating contest at Pottsville On Tap.
• Have a special family photo taken at Hope Hill Lavender Farm, Schuylkill Haven. Details are on their website at hopehilllavenderfarm.com.
• Reach new heights hiking to the top of Hawk Mountain, Drehersville.
• Try something different and camp in a yurt at Tuscarora State Park, Barnesville.
• Improve your putt with a round of mini golf at Heisler’s Dairy Bar, Lewistown Valley.
• Celebrate the 190th Anniversary of American’s Oldest Brewery by taking some friends on the Yuengling Brewery tour, Pottsville.
• Take a relaxing break with java and crepes at Pressed Coffee & Books, Pottsville.
• Learn some innovative ways to improve your health and overall well- being with interesting foods and ideas from Peace Frog Natural Foods and Healthy Habits Market, Pottsville.
• Embrace our community’s eastern European roots with the many delicacies Kowalonek’s Kielbasy Shop, Shenandoah, has to offer.
• Treat someone you love to an indulgence from Something Sweet Candies, Pottsville, C& C’s Candies, Friedensburg, and Momma Millie’s, Pottsville.
• Try your hand at something new at Alchemist’s Cove Games and Comics, Schuylkill Haven.
• Share tapas with friends at The Crimson House, Pottsville.
Enjoy a pint at The Speakeasy Secret Room, a reputed Molly Maguire’s hangout since 1866, at the Wooden Keg, Saint Clair.
• Give your taste buds a thrill with the famous pickle pizza at Roma Pizzeria and Restaurant, Pottsville, or the over- the- top “big mac pizza” at Red Lion Café, Pine Grove.
• Start training for the 2020 Yuengling Light Lager Jogger race in Pottsville and register in early October!
• Take off into blue skies on your own tour with the good folks at the Schuylkill County airport, Mount Pleasant.
• Create your very own pour tour on our craft beverage trail at www. schuylkill. org/ pour- tours- and- more.
• Experience the German biergarten atmosphere of Stoker’s Brewing Company, Tamaqua, and fill a growler to take home too!
• Hit the newer completed sections of the Schuylkill River Trail or make tracks with Schuylkill On the Move.
• Get muddy on more than 600 mapped miles of trails with Famous Reading Outdoors.
• Build a snowman at Pottsville Winterfest on Jan. 12.
• Kick up your heels at the annual Girardville St. Patrick’s Day Parade.
• Step back in time at Jerry’s Classic Cars & Collectibles Museum, Pottsville.
• Discover our unique collective history and volunteer at the Schuylkill County Historical Society, Pottsville.
( Gargano is executive director of Schuylkill County