Tri- Valley board welcomes director
HEGINS — The Tri- Valley school board welcomed a new director Wednesday.
Tim McGinley was appointed to fill the vacancy in Region 2 left by the resignation of John Schmeltz. McGinley was sworn in and accepted the post.
If he wishes to keep the seat, he will have to run in the May primary.
During a reorganization meeting, the board reappointed Jerry Beaver as president and Diane Dietrich as vice president, both for oneyear terms.
Beaver and director Carl Shankweiler said the board was happy to have several people willing to serve and thanked all the candidates for their interest in the district.
There were three candidates for the Region 2 seat, all well- qualified, Beaver said. The board held a onehour executive session to discuss personnel and legal matters prior to the start of the reorganization meeting.
Other office holders are Kelly Carter, secretary; Roger Heidlebaugh, treasurer; Jennifer Reed, IU representative; and Jami Zelwalk, assistant board secretary.
The board approved the meeting schedule for 2019. Regular meetings will be at 7: 30 p. m. in the high school auditorium on the following Wednesdays: Jan. 9, Feb. 13, March 13, April 10, May 8, June 12, July 10, Aug. 14, Sept. 11, Oct. 9, Nov. 13 and Dec. 4.
Committee of the whole meetings will be at 6: 30 p. m. in the high school library on the same dates.
In other business, the board heard from High School Principal Charles Hall who congratulated several students: Wayne Reilly is Rotary student of the month; Raquel Harring is the Lions Club student of the month; and the following are Schuylkill County band participants, Hannah Molnar, Abigail Soles, Myah Wehry, Harring, Nolan Wiest, Alex Kehler, Emmanuel Risso, Amanda Kehler, Jessica Keefer and Matilda Risso.
Hall said the fall drama production will be held at 7 p. m. Dec. 14 and 15, and 2 p. m. Dec. 16.
Elementary Principal Robert Felty Jr. thanked the PTO for sponsoring the Mobile Ag Lab at HeginsHubley Elementary School this week. Felty also congratulated the Spelling Bee winners and adviser, and announced the holiday band concert will be held at 7 p. m. Dec. 19 at the high school auditorium.
In other action, the board approved:
• The resignation of Beth Harman as a part- time aide, effective Dec. 12 or Dec. 21, depending on availability of a replacement.
• Monica Schlegel as a substitute custodian at $ 9.50 per hour.
• Transfering Melissa Nye from substitute aide to part- time aide, effective Thursday.
• The following volunteers at Mahantongo Elementary, Marjorie Boyer, Paula Dietrich, Allison Klock, Dustin Rickert, Adam Schwalm, Brittany Shade, Shannon Wagner and Rebecca Witmer.
• A proposed course addition to the 2019- 20 high school art education curriculum titled graphic design. contact the writer: vter[email protected] republicanherald. com; 570- 628- 6007