Now here's a tip!
• Here’s another item to add to your environmentally friendly choices list: If you’re not going to eat takeout food in the car, just say no to plastic utensils. They are usually packaged in a plastic bag with a napkin, so there’s even more you could be saving in waste.
• Make your own whipped butter for dinner rolls. Simply let butter come to room temperature, then whip in your electric mixer until it’s nice and fluffy. Chill, or drop by teaspoonful onto a cold cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze, and then you can arrange them on a plate for a nice presentation. They thaw quickly.
• Add to a pot of water a cinnamon stick, a handful of cloves, two slices of citrus (orange, lemon or both) and some cardamom pods if you have them. Put on a slow simmer, and your house will smell so good!
• Here’s a great cooking tip when you want to sear meat: Make sure you pat it dry using either paper towels or a kitchen cloth specifically for that purpose. Any moisture on the meat will cause it to steam cook.
• Want a quick snack that tastes great? Try spicing your own peanuts with this recipe from the National Peanut Board: In a skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of peanut oil over medium heat. Stir in 1 cup of peanuts and toast for about 1 minute. Next, stir in your choice of spices and cook for 1-2 minutes or until spices smell fragrant. Remove peanuts from the pan to drain well on paper towels. Serve warm or at room temperature. How about curry and ginger, or cilantro with chili powder and cumin?