Dancer named Miss Arkansas’ Outstanding Teen
Brighton Barnard, 14, of Little Rock, was crowned 2013 Miss Arkansas’ Outstanding Teen on Saturday at Horner Hall.
She will represent Arkansas at the Miss America’s Outstanding Teen 2013 pageant Aug. 13- 17 at Orlando.
Her parents are Garrett and Ashley Childers.
A ninth- grade student at Little Rock Christian Academy, Barnard competed as Miss Central Arkansas and performed “Firework,” a contemporary dance for her talent presentation. She received the Overall Talent award, Arrival, Genesis, and Most Talented Dancer awards.
Her platform is Shine Bright. Barnard said, on her website, that she encourages students to be leaders and do great works in their communities.
“By being a leader, students can guide others to live positively and create a lifestyle of service for themselves. I believe that service is putting your leadership into action.”
“I challenge all of you to think ‘ What’s one way I can make a difference and empower others to do so as well?’, whether that be through your words or actions. You are never to young to be a leader and serve others, so I say, ‘ Shine Bright!’”
Her local director is Mandy Ketchersid.
She was named to the Top 15 and the Top 10 before receiving the crown from 2012 Miss Arkansas’ Outstanding Teen Laura Leigh Turner.
Katie Gardner was named first runner- up, Raygan Sylvester second runner- up, Grace McClanahan third runner- up, and Alexis Landers fourth runnerup.
The Top 10 contestants were Gracie Stover, Alexis Landers, Raygan Sylvester, Blair Wortsmith, Robin Galloway, Bethany Miller, Savannah Stagg, Katie Gardner, and Grace McClanahan.
The Top 15 contestants were Rachel Harless, Ashley Hopson, Savannah Stagg, Raygan Sylvester, Kelley Renee Brown, Alexis Landers, Bethany Miller, Harper Lee Hudson, Carleigh Joy Tackett, Grace McClanahan, Katie Gardner, Gracie Stover, Blair Wortsmith and Robin Galloway.
awards as follows:
• ECO Green and Gorgeous Award – Christian Weatherley.
• Miss Congeniality Award – Carleigh Joy Tackett.
• Spirit of Arkansas Award – Kelli Collins.
• You’ve Got the Look Photogenic Award – Ashley Marx.
• You’ve Got the Look “Show Us Your Shoes” Award – Kelli Collins.
• Genesis Award – Savannah Stagg.
• Genesis Award – Alexis Landers.
• Fabulous Face Award – Alexis Landers.
• Non- Finalist Interview Award – Kelli Collins.
• Non- Finalist Talent Award – Cori Keller.
• Overall Vocal Performance – Grace McClanahan.
• Overall Evening Wear Award - Alexis Landers.
• Overall Physical Fitness Award – Blair Wortsmith.
• Overall Private Interview Award – Katie Gardner.
• CMN Miracle Maker Award – Gracie Stover.
• Scholastic Achievement Award – Suzanna Gibbs.
• Facebook Photogenic Award – Ashley Hopson.
WINNING SMILE: Brighton Barnard performs “Fireworks,” her talent presentation leading up to her being named 2013 Miss Arkansas’ Outstanding Teen.