Car­bon monox­ide in­jures two peo­ple

In­ci­dent took place at a laun­dry fa­cil­ity; Haz­Mat units re­spond

The Signal - - Front page - By Jim Holt Sig­nal Se­nior Staff Writer

At least two peo­ple were hurt, one of them taken to the hospi­tal, af­ter they were ex­posed to high lev­els of car­bon monox­ide in or near a Ne­whall coin laun­dry.

About 5:45 p.m., of­fi­cials with the Los An­ge­les County Fire De­part­ment re­ceived re­ports of two peo­ple found un­con­scious in­side a laun­dry fa­cil­ity on the 22500 block of 14th Street.

“Ap­par­ently, two peo­ple smelled some­thing com­ing from the (coin laun­dry),” Fire De­part­ment Su­per­vi­sor Melanie Flores said.

“One pa­tient was taken to the hospi­tal,” she said.

At 6:30 p.m., when fire of­fi­cials iden­ti­fied the un­known gas as car­bon monox­ide, they alerted med­i­cal staff at Henry Mayo Ne­whall Hospi­tal to the pos­si­bil­ity of other pa­tients, Flores said.

More than a dozen Fire

De­part­ment ve­hi­cles — in­clud­ing at least one haz­ardous ma­te­ri­als truck — were dis­patched to the in­ci­dent. it

Once the gas was iden­ti­fied, ad­di­tional fire­fight­ers in­clud­ing an­other fire chief were dis­patched to the site.

As a pre­cau­tion, staffers work­ing at SCVTV near the coin laun­dry fa­cil­ity were sent home.

Car­bon monox­ide is col­or­less, odor­less and taste­less, but highly toxic. Ex­po­sure to high lev­els of car­bon monox­ide can re­sult in seizure, coma or death.

Austin Dave/The Sig­nal

Fire­fight­ers in­ves­ti­gate the cause of two peo­ple los­ing con­scious­ness dur­ing a Haz­Mat re­sponse at a laun­dry fa­cil­ity on the 22500 block of 14th Street in Ne­whall Thurs­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.