Kent man’s rape trials moved to Anne Arundel
CENTREVILLE — A third woman has come forward to accuse a 21-year-old Galena man of sexual assault.
An indictment was filed Dec. 6 charging Mark Charles Blazejak with second-degree rape, second-degree assault, fourth-degree sex offense and reckless endangerment.
The offenses are alleged to have occurred in Queen Anne’s County in late July, according to online court records.
Blazejak has been in the custody of the Kent County Detention Center since Sept. 26, when he was arrested on a warrant charging him with two counts each of second-degree rape, second-degree assault, false imprisonment and reckless endangerment. He
MARK also is charged with third- and fourthdegree
BLAZEJAK sex offenses.
There are two alleged victims. These offenses are alleged to have occurred in Kent County.
Blazejak was in Kent County Circuit Court on Nov. 30 for an hour-long motions hearing.
Defense attorneys Thomas Maronick and Caroline Alvarez asked the court for a change of venue due to the “substantial amount of publicity” the case had received.
Visiting Judge Philip T. Caroom granted the motion. The trials will be conducted in Anne Arundel County, but all hearings and court business leading up to that will continue to be heard in Kent County.
Due to a crowded court calendar, the first open date for a jury trial in Anne Arundel is not until July. This would be in violation of Blazejak’s constitutional right to a speedy trial, which is 180 days from his initial appearance.
Blazejak in open court voluntarily waived what is commonly called the Hicks rule. He stood at the defense table with his attorneys.
Two separate trials have been scheduled, July 8 to 12 and Aug. 19 to 23.
The judge has not ruled on a defense motion to prohibit all parties from speaking to the media.
The Wicomico County State’s Attorney’s Office is prosecuting the case because Blazejak’s father is a local law enforcement officer.
According to a release from the Maryland State Police, the investigation began in August when a woman reported she had been raped by Blazejak.
Other women who were interviewed as part of the initial investigation told police they had been sexually assaulted, according to the news release.
A second woman told police Blazejak raped her in March, according to the criminal indictment.