Alabama is odds-on favorite over Clemson for repeat national championship win
Perhaps unsurprisingly, the opening line for the College Football Playoff national championship had Alabama as the clear favorite over Clemson to repeat as national champions.
According to the Action Network, at least one sportsbook had Alabama as a nine-point favorite to start last Saturday, when it became clear that the Crimson Tide and Tigers would be meeting for the fourth consecutive season. In Las Vegas, the early consensus had the spread at Alabama by seven.
Since then, however, the line has narrowed at most books, to -5.5 points for Alabama, with the lowest at -4.5.
The average over/under for the total score of the game currently stands at 58.5 points, per Vegas Insider.
From a non-betting perspective, simulations of the game have it incredibly close — Fivethirtyeight’s prediction model gives Alabama a 51 percent chance of winning, Clemson a 49 percent chance. ESPN’S Power Football Index has the split at 51.4 percent Alabama, 48.6 percent Clemson.
SPREADS (AS OF JAN. 5)
Bovada: -6 Alabama Betonline: -5 Alabama Vegas Insider: -5.5 Alabama
Westgate: -4.5 Alabama Caesar’s: -5.5 Alabama Wynn: -4.5 Alabama Unibet: -5 Alabama