The Washington Post Sunday

Migrant father says girl arrived well

Guatemalan child, 7, crossed southern border, died in U.S. custody

- BY MICHAEL BRICE-SADDLER michael.bricesaddl­ Nick Miroff contribute­d to this report.

The 7-year-old Guatemalan girl who died in U.S. Border Patrol custody was healthy before she arrived, and her family is calling for an “objective and thorough” investigat­ion of her death, a representa­tive for the family said Saturday.

In a statement, the family’s attorneys disputed reports that the girl, Jakelin Caal, had gone several days without food and water before crossing the border, contradict­ing statements from the Department of Homeland Security. Ruben Garcia, founder and executive director of Annunciati­on House — an El Paso-based nonprofit that aids migrants — said the girl’s father, Nery Caal, 29, said she was healthy and had no preexistin­g conditions.

“He’s been very clear, very consistent that his daughter was healthy, and his daughter very much wanted to come with him,” Garcia said during a news conference.

Garcia said he could not comment on specifics related to the girl’s death and discourage­d the media from speculatin­g about the cause, which is the subject of an internal investigat­ion at DHS. Congressio­nal Democrats have also called for meetings with U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials and a full accounting of the incident.

Annunciati­on House said in a Facebook post that the girl’s father was in its care and being hosted in one of its houses. Nery Caal, who was granted provisiona­l release from CBP custody, according to consular officials, was not present at the briefing and has not spoken publicly about his daughter’s death on Dec. 8 from what DHS said was dehydratio­n, shock and liver failure.

“The death of any person while that person is in the custody of Border Patrol needs to be thoroughly and transparen­tly investigat­ed,” the post read. “This is doubly so when the person is a 7-yearold.”

Jakelin’s death was announced Thursday by U.S. Customs and Border Protection after inquiries by The Washington Post, raising questions about the conditions of the agency’s facilities. CBP Commission­er Kevin McAleenan told the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday that CBP’s stations were not properly suited to handle the number of asylum seekers crossing the border, a flow that includes families with children.

CBP and DHS officials deny that the agency is responsibl­e for the girl’s death.

More than a day before she died, Jakelin, her father and 161 other Central American migrants crossed the U.S. border outside Antelope Wells, N.M., seeking to turn themselves in to Border Patrol agents.

An account of Jakelin’s death posted on Facebook by the Department of Homeland Security called it “incredibly tragic.” The agency said the girl did not show any signs of medical distress during a routine check that took place when she and her father were taken into custody.

“The initial screening revealed no evidence of health issues. During the screening, the father denied that either he or his daughter were ill. This denial was recorded on Form I-779 signed by the father,” the DHS account said, adding that father and daughter were offered food and water and had access to restrooms. The form was supplied in English, but CBP officials said agents provided a verbal translatio­n.

The family’s attorneys said in the statement that it was “unacceptab­le” to have Caal sign a document in a language he did not understand. They also said false speculatio­n about Jakelin’s death could “undermine” the investigat­ion.

In a letter to Rep. Kevin Yoder (R-Kan.) late Friday, McAleenan said the child’s father said she “drank water and ate the food offered” while in custody and “was not demonstrat­ing any signs of distress” before her father later notified agents that Jakelin was ill. Yoder is the chairman of the House appropriat­ions subcommitt­ee for homeland security.

The two were picked up by a bus nearly eight hours after they crossed the border. It was here, DHS said, that Jakelin’s father complained that the 7-year-old was vomiting. Her condition apparently worsened during the 90minute bus ride toward Lordsburg, N.M., which CBP officials said Friday was the fastest way for her to get medical attention.

Caal said Jakelin was no longer breathing when the bus arrived at the station on the morning of Dec. 7. The girl’s temperatur­e had reached 105.9 degrees, and agents providing medical care revived her twice, DHS said.

She died 15 hours later at Providence Children’s Hospital in El Paso, according to DHS and consular officials. Her father was present when she died.

“We urge investigat­ing authoritie­s to conduct a transparen­t and neutral investigat­ion into Jakelin’s death while in custody,” her family’s attorneys said in the statement.

In a letter to DHS Inspector General John Kelly on Friday, senior Democratic lawmakers, including members who will soon chair the House Judiciary and Homeland Security committees, demanded an immediate investigat­ion of the death.

“The investigat­ion should focus on policies and practices designed to protect health and safety, as well as policies and practices that may result in increased migration through particular­ly harsh terrain,” the letter said.

 ?? OLIVER DE ROS/ASSOCIATED PRESS ?? Claudia Maquin — seen Saturday in Guatemala with children Abdel Johnatan Domingo Caal Maquin, 9, Angela Surely Mariela Caal Maquin, 6 months, and Elvis Radamel Aquiles Caal Maquin, 5 — is the mother of Jakelin Caal, 7, a migrant who died this month in El Paso.
OLIVER DE ROS/ASSOCIATED PRESS Claudia Maquin — seen Saturday in Guatemala with children Abdel Johnatan Domingo Caal Maquin, 9, Angela Surely Mariela Caal Maquin, 6 months, and Elvis Radamel Aquiles Caal Maquin, 5 — is the mother of Jakelin Caal, 7, a migrant who died this month in El Paso.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United States