The Washington Post Sunday
Stakely propels Hoyas to an OT win in opener
GEORGETOWN 20, DELAWARE ST. 14 (OT)
Joshua Stakely scored on a fiveyard run in overtime and Georgetown rallied to knock off Delaware State, 20-14, in nonconference play Saturday in Dover, Del.
Stakely accounted for all 25 yards of the Hoyas’ overtime drive, carrying four times. Georgetown had a chance to win its season opener in regulation, but Conor Hunt’s 35-yard field goal attempt sailed left with 5:26 remaining. Stakely was held to 18 yards rushing in regulation.
The Hornets (1-1) had jumped out to a 14-0 lead. Sy’Veon Wilkerson (Good Counsel) scored untouched on an 11-yard run on the first play of the second quarter to open the scoring. Tylik Bethea connected with Jerrish Halsey for a 14-yard score on Delaware State’s next drive before being shut out the rest of the way.
Georgetown didn’t score until four seconds before halftime when Joseph Brunell hit Ser Portobanco for a 17-yard touchdown, making it 14-7.
Brunell threw a 36-yard scoring strike to Camero Crayton with 9:36 left in the third quarter to tie the score at 14. Delaware State had the ball first in overtime, but Joseph Delgado’s 37-yard field goal try was blocked.
● JAMES MADISON 55, MAINE 7: Cole Johnson threw four touchdown passes to lead the Dukes, ranked No. 3 in the Football Championship Subdivision, in Harrisonburg, Va.
Johnson, who had five touchdown passes in James Madison’s season-opening win against Morehead State, was 25 of 30 for 384 yards.
● BOWIE STATE 28, SAGINAW VALLEY STATE 19: Ja’rome Johnson (Eastern) threw three touchdown passes, including the game-clincher with 1:39 remaining to wide receiver Victor Olayinka (C.H. Flowers), to lift the Bulldogs, ranked No. 25 in Division II, at home.
● OLD DOMINION 47, HAMPTON 7: In Norfolk, D.J. Mack Jr. rushed for three touchdowns as the Monarchs piled up a program-record 358 yards on the ground and ended a 12-game losing streak.
● TULANE 69, MORGAN STATE 20: In Birmingham, freshman Justin Ibieta passed for two touchdowns and ran for another as the Green Wave, forced from its New Orleans campus by Hurricane Ida, routed the Bears.
● WAKE FOREST 41, NORFOLK STATE 16: Sam Hartman passed for 244 yards and a touchdown and Christian Turner rushed for two scores as the Demon Deacons beat the Spartans in Winston-Salem, N.C.
● LIBERTY 21, TROY 13: Malik Willis threw two touchdown passes and ran for another score to lead the Flames to the victory in Troy, Ala.
● RICHMOND 31, LEHIGH 3: Joe Mancuso threw for two scores and Aaron Dykes and Savon Smith each ran for a touchdown as the Spiders scored four times in the second quarter to rout the visiting Mountain Hawks.
● WILLIAM & MARY 24, LAFAYETTE 3: Gage Herdman’s interception return for a touchdown late in the third quarter helped turn momentum in favor of the Tribe in Williamsburg.
● NEW HAMPSHIRE 26, TOWSON 14: Bret Edwards threw two touchdown passes to lead the Wildcats past the Tigers in Durham, N.H.
● KENT STATE 60, VMI 10: Montre Miller intercepted three passes and seven players ran for touchdowns as the Golden Flashes rolled in Kent, Ohio.
● RANDOLPH-MACON 62, CATHOLIC 10: Presley Egbers threw three scoring passes and Brecht Heuchan had two for the Yellow Jackets in Ashland, Va.