The Washington Post

Fire Victim Is Identified

- — Raymond McCaffrey

The victim of a fatal fire at a home in the Orchard Beach area has been identified, Anne Arundel County fire officials said yesterday.

Ellen M. Eberly, 72, was the only resident home when firefighte­rs responded to reports at 5:43 p.m. Tuesday that an elderly woman might be trapped in the basement of a house that was emitting heavy smoke, the fire department said in a statement.

Although Eberly lived in the basement of the residence, which is owned by her daughter and son-inlaw, firefighte­rs found her on the upper level of the split-foyer home, said Battalion Chief Michael Cox, a department spokesman.

“She was unconsciou­s, unresponsi­ve,” Cox said. “She was in cardiac arrest.”

Eberly was taken by ambulance to Baltimore Washington Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead, Cox said.

He said the fire was caused by an electrical malfunctio­n in a bedroom on the lower level. Fire officials said the fire caused $30,000 damage and also killed two dogs in the home.

Eberly was the fourth person to die in a fire in Anne Arundel County this year, Cox said. The victims, including two in Annapolis, were elderly, he said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United States