The Washington Post

Trevor Bauer’s first court appearance won’t be his last after an L.A. judge grants his attorneys a delay.

- BY GUS GARCIA- ROBERTS gus.garcia-roberts@washpost.com

los angeles — A hearing Friday on the restrainin­g order against Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer was continued by a Los Angeles judge until next month. It was Bauer’s first court appearance since a woman accused him in June of choking her unconsciou­s and sexually assaulting her.

Judge Dianna Gould-saltman ordered the case continued until Aug. 2, a move that gives Bauer’s legal team more time to prepare for witnesses and medical records that his attorney Shawn Holley said were turned over “at the 11th hour” by the woman’s attorneys. The hearing is to determine whether the accuser’s restrainin­g order against the Los Angeles Dodgers ace should continue to be enforced.

When the hearing reconvenes, it is expected to last two to three days, according to estimates in court by both sides’ attorneys, and include up to nine witnesses, six for the woman — including an expert witness and multiple police detectives — and three to be called by Bauer.

Bauer appeared in court wearing a mask and a maroon suit, and he stared straight ahead. He did not speak in the proceeding­s, and it’s unclear whether he will testify. His lawyers initially indicated he planned to be a witness on his own behalf, but Holley later said they had advised him to refuse to answer questions because of an ongoing criminal investigat­ion by the Pasadena Police Department. The judge indicated he still could be called to the stand and would have to decline to incriminat­e himself following each individual question.

Bauer has been on paid leave for three weeks, a term that was most recently extended to Tuesday. An MLB spokespers­on declined to comment on how the continuanc­e will impact how much time Bauer will miss.

Court administra­tors appeared to be surprised by the proposed length of the hearing as the proceeding­s were shuffled between courtrooms multiple times. Before the hearing was continued, it appeared the woman planned to make Bauer’s alleged Instagram messages to her a centerpiec­e of her case as members of her legal team carried oversize reproducti­ons of the messages on poster board.

His messages to her were included in her applicatio­n for a restrainin­g order, including one in which she detailed injuries to her face and jaw and he allegedly wrote: “I feel so bad that this happened.”

The woman was granted a temporary domestic violence restrainin­g order in the case last month, after she made graphic allegation­s in court filings, supported by photos and medical records, about two separate sexual encounters with Bauer that she said turned violent.

His agent and attorney, Jon Fetterolf, has denied the allegation­s as “baseless” and “defamatory.”

Attorneys for both sides did not respond to requests for comment Friday.

The Washington Post does not typically identify alleged victims of sexual violence.

 ?? NORM HALL/GETTY IMAGES ?? Trevor Bauer has spent three weeks on leave from MLB after a woman accused him of sexual assault.
NORM HALL/GETTY IMAGES Trevor Bauer has spent three weeks on leave from MLB after a woman accused him of sexual assault.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United States