The Washington Post

Everett sentenced to three months of house arrest for role in fatal car accident


Former Washington safety Deshazor Everett was sentenced Wednesday to three months of house arrest for his involvemen­t in a car crash in December that killed his girlfriend, Olivia S. Peters. His license was also suspended for six months, and he was ordered to pay a $2,500 fine, fulfill 100 hours of community service and produce a public service announceme­nt about safe driving.

District Court Judge Deborah Welsh described the case as “a tragic accident” and told Everett, “You took responsibi­lity for this when you came in and pled guilty for reckless driving.”

Welsh said Peters’s family “didn’t want to destroy [Everett’s] life” and recommende­d lenience. According to Everett’s attorney, Kaveh Noorishad, Everett’s and Peters’s mothers shared a tearful embrace at the hearing. Everett’s 10-year-old son, Aiden, was present as well.

On Dec. 23, Everett was driving a 2010 Nissan GT-R that veered to the right off the road and hit several trees before rolling over, according to the Loudoun County Sheriff ’s office. Peters, the passenger in the car, was taken to StoneSprin­gs Hospital Center, where she died of her injuries. She was 29.

The initial account from the Loudoun County Sheriff ’s office reported Everett was driving more than 90 mph before the crash. But new evidence from the car’s black box, witness accounts and the Loudoun County crash reconstruc­tion team painted a different picture of the scene, according to the sentencing memo.

Commanders defensive back Benjamin St-juste, who was traveling behind the Nissan, reported to police that Everett’s car was traveling at a speed of approximat­ely 50 mph. The county’s crash reconstruc­tion team determined the car was traveling between 65 and 69 mph.

Everett, 30, was ejected from the vehicle and was unconsciou­s. He was taken to Reston Hospital Center to treat myriad non-lifethreat­ening injuries, including a laceration on his head that required stitches, an injury to his right eye that required surgery, multiple fractures in his right arm, and right leg and foot injuries.

Both parties agreed there were no drugs or alcohol in Everett’s breath or blood at the time of the accident.

Everett was charged initially with involuntar­y manslaught­er, but he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of reckless driving in a deal with the commonweal­th’s attorney’s office in Loudoun County.

Shortly after the accident, Peters’s family establishe­d the Olivia S. Peters Pediatric Therapy Foundation to help children with special needs. Peters, a Montgomery County native, was an occupation­al therapist. Everett intended to propose to Peters at the end of the NFL season.

The Commanders placed Everett on the non-football injury list the day after the accident and released him in March.

According to the sentencing memo, if Everett “were to have any chance of regaining an opportunit­y to continue his career in the NFL, he needs continued specialize­d treatment.” Everett is still undergoing physical therapy to recover from his injuries but is expected to return to 100 percent health, Noorishad said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United States