The Washington Post

Buffalo firefighte­r dies while battling blaze


A firefighte­r died inside a burning commercial building in downtown Buffalo on Wednesday, where a fire and sudden blast sent flames and smoke billowing into the street.

Fire Commission­er William Renaldo said the fireball was likely caused by a backdraft, which he said occurs when oxygen is “sucked into the building and then blown back.”

The building held a theatrical costumes shop.

The firefighte­r’s identity was not immediatel­y released.

The cause of the fire is under investigat­ion. Renaldo said workers were using blowtorche­s on the building’s exterior before the fire and that heat may have transferre­d through brick or mortar to the interior and ignited paper or other combustibl­es.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United States