The Washington Post
Cabbage and Noodles With Dill and Yogurt
4 servings (makes 6 cups)
Total time: 30 mins
Refrigerate for up to 4 days.
From cookbook author and registered dietitian nutritionist Ellie Krieger.
• 8 ounces medium or wide egg noodles
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 large yellow onion (12 ounces), halved and thinly sliced
• ½ head large green cabbage (1¾ pounds total), cored and thinly shredded (6 cups)
• ¾ teaspoon fine salt, divided,
plus more to taste
• ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• Water, as needed
• ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh dill, plus dill fronds for garnish 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
• ½ cup plain whole-milk or lowfat Greek yogurt
• Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook until al dente, about 1 minute less than the package directions. Reserve ½ cup of the cooking 2 water, then drain.
• Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown, 3 to 5 min--
utes. Add the cabbage, 1/ tea
spoon of the salt and the pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender and browned in spots, about 5 minutes. Add a splash of water to the pan if it seems to be getting dry. Remove from the heat and set aside until the noodles are ready.
Add the cooked, drained noodles to the skillet, along with the dill, butter and the remaining
1/ teaspoon of salt. Set the skillet
over medium heat and warm the mixture, tossing it gently, until the butter is melted and everything is combined. Add some of the reserved cooking water as needed to loosen. Taste and season with additional salt, if desired. Divide the mixture among the bowls, top each with a dollop of yogurt and a couple of dill fronds, and serve.
Nutrition | Per serving (11/ cups noodle2 cabbage mixture and 2 tablespoons yogurt): 422 calories, 12 g protein, 60 g carbohydrates, 16 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 56 mg cholesterol, 497 mg sodium, 8 g dietary fiber, 11 g sugar
Recipe tested by Olga Massov; email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org