Times Chronicle & Public Spirit
SEALING THE DEAL
Johnson’s TD leads Del Val to playoff victory
Jahaire Johnson (Upper Moreland) caught the game-winning touchdown with 24 seconds left as Del Val completed a dramatic comeback to defeat Randolph-Macon 39-32 in Saturday’s second round NCAA Division III playoff game. For the game, Johnson had two catches for 54 yards — a 41-yard touchdown and the 10-yard winning score.
Jay White (North Penn) rushed 13 times for 101 yards and a touchdown and Tahmir White (Archbishop Wood) had four carries for 10 yards and six receptions for 65 yards. On defense, Yusuf Aladinov (William Tennent) was a force with 11 tackles, 4.5 stops for loss totaling 17 yards and a pair of sacks for 11 yards. The end also broke up a pass and registered a quarterback hit. Nick Chapman (Hatboro-Horsham) had 1.5 tackles for loss in his eight stops and Micah Bootman (Upper Dublin) recorded five tackles.
• Connor Bishop (Archbishop Wood) helped clear a path as Army rushed for 329 yards in Saturday’s 44-7 win over UMass. The senior center and captain helped the Black Knights gain a total of 396 yards and run off 44 unanswered points and the offensive line to not allow a sack.
• Abdul Carter (La Salle) collected a team-high seven tackles, including two sacks for 16 yards of loss and three total tackles for a loss of 17 yards as Penn State downed Michigan State 35-16 on Saturday. Carter, a freshman linebacker, played in all 12 games for the 10-2 Nittany Lions with 55 tackles and 6.5 sacks. Nick Tarburton (Pennridge) added a tackle and two pass breakups for Penn State, which will await its bowl destination.
• Ryanne Allen (Archbishop Wood) and Vanderbilt took part in the Cancun Challenge. In Thursday’s 82-73 loss to ranked NC State, Allen had 10 points and a rebound. On Friday, Allen had three points, two rebounds and three assists in a 65-62 loss to Northern Iowa.
• Izzy Larsen (Archbishop Wood) made her first start for Northeastern in Saturday’s 67-41 loss to Portland. The junior from Hatfield had four points, six rebounds, a block and three steals. Elle Stauffer (Germantown Academy) had seven points, six rebounds and two assists for Harvard in Monday’s 85-43 win over Merrimack.
• Dana Kiefer (Archbishop Wood) had six points, seven rebounds, a steal and a block for Bryant in Monday’s 69-64 loss to Loyola Maryland. In Sunday’s 85-60 loss to Providence, Kiefer tallied seven points, three rebounds and a block.
• Lindsay Tretter (Archbishop Wood) and Taylor Hinkle (CB South) had a busy week with Holy Family. In Monday’s 70-65 loss to Bloomsburg, Tretter had nine points, two rebounds, two assists, a block and a steal while Hinkle scored a point with two boards and a steal. Hinkle had her best game of the season in Friday’s overtime win against Lincoln in the Rollins Classic, scoring 14 points on 6-of-7 shooting plus four rebounds and a steal. Tretter had 12 points, two rebounds and two assists. Saturday, in a 78-67 loss to MSU-Moorhead in the Rollins Classic final, Tretter tallied 10 points with three rebounds, two assists and a steal while Hinkle had five points, two rebounds and an assist.
• Carly Mulvaney (Jenkintown) tallied six points, nine rebounds and a block as Catholic defeated St. Mary’s (MD) 63-34 on Tuesday.
• Jack Clark (Cheltenham) and NC State took part in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament, finishing fifth in the eight-team field. In Wednesday’s 80-74 loss to nationally ranked Kansas, the fifth-year guard had five points and three rebounds. Clark was solid in Thursday’s 76-64 win over Dayton, hitting 5-of-9 shots for 10 points with nine rebounds, an assist, a block and two steals. Wrapping up the tournament with Friday’s 76-61 win over Butler, Clark posted 10 points, eight rebounds and three steals.
• Andrew Funk (Archbishop Wood) had three points, a rebound, assist and steal as Penn State downed Lafayette 70-57 on Saturday.