Plenty of places to get a free meal
Several options to bite the bird
Benjamin Buggs remembers the early days of Faith Food Fridays when he’d be scrambling around to find cans of tuna to help feed the local hungry.
On Friday, the Vallejo nonprofit handed out 800 frozen turkeys.
Those who don’t have a kitchen or any way of cooking turkeys? Most seek a free meal on Thanksgiving and Vallejo has several options:
• Vallejo Together Community and the Loyal Order of Moose Lodge No. 468 and SolTrans
partner to offer a Thursday meal at the lodge’s 337 Nebraska St. location. SolTrans provides free service to make sure those in need get there.
The meal, “aimed to ensure seniors are not alone on the holiday,” will be festive with home-made decorations, donated food and dessert and live entertainment, SolTrans publicist Deanna Troupe said in a news release.
For those needing a meal but do not wish to attend the Moose Lodge event, Vallejo Together will prepare package bags and deliver them, Troupe said.
For SolTrans service to and from senior living facilities in Vallejo, call Francie McInerney MacMillan at (707) 205-7476. Shuttle pick-up and drop-off times are available online at SolTrans. org or by calling (707) 648-4666.
• The Sparrow Project at First Baptist Church hosts its annual Thanksgiving Meal from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., 2025 Sonoma Blvd.
• Chris’ Club Thanksgiving Dinner, starting at 2 p.m., for ages 21 and older, 656 Benicia Road, Vallejo. To-go servings are also available. The bar is celebrating its 10th annual free Thanksgiving event. Volunteer servers and food donations are welcomed. Call (707) 552-2916 for more.
• Corinthians Church of God In Christ, special Thanksgiving service at 9 a.m., with the Outreach Ministry serving Thanksgiving meals immediately following service at the church, 1101 Benicia Road. All are welcome. Call the church at (707) 649-2350 or 554-1002 for more details.
Church free community Thanksgiving dinner, 11 a.m.. to 2 p.m., 407 Capitol St., Contact Pastor M.D. Slade at (707) 553-1896.
• Old Path Miracle Cathedral Church of God in Church free Thanksgiving dinner, 3 p.m., 500 Arkansas St., Vallejo. New Beginnings volunteers, Pastor Charles Levias of Mount Calvary Church joining the celebration. Some 300 people are expected for the meal, which includes turkey, dressing, macaroni and cheese, yams, green beans, rolls, pumpkin pie and other dishes.
• Chef D by the Bay, 426 Tuolumne St., Vallejo, serving Thanksgiving meals for the homeless, noon to 3 p.m.
There are several options in Vallejo for those looking for a free Thanksgiving meal.